rf920ntz
Freshman Barb Seaman cradles the ball in Penn's win against Towson. Today, the Quakers try to avenge a tough loss to Delaware.

When the Penn women's lacrosse team takes on Delaware today at Franklin Field, one thing will be on its mind: revenge.

"It's definitely a huge factor," senior tri-captain Sarah Eastburn said. "Last year we weren't supposed to lose to Delaware, and that definitely was one of the biggest disappointments of the season. We definitely need to win, and we will."

Last year the Quakers were upset by the Blue Hens 10-9 in Newark, Del. after then-senior Kristin Cellucci netted the game winner with 54 seconds remaining.

The teams enter today's game under similar conditions as last year's. Going into that game, the Quakers were ranked No. 17, while the Blue Hens were unranked. Today, the Quakers (3-1) are ranked 16, while the Blue Hens (1-2) have yet to break into the Top 20 this year.

However, last season's loss seems like an aberration because the Quakers had beaten the Blue Hens the previous two years.

Regardless of the revenge factor, "it's a regional game, so it's a huge game for us," coach Karin Brower said.

If the Quakers want to beat their almost-local rival, they must focus on playing their type of game, something they failed to do in their 13-4 loss to No. 2 Northwestern last Friday.

"We have to play our game of lacrosse," Brower said. "We have to get back to what we do well: our pressure defense, and our attack pushing the fast break as well as scoring some goals."

Eastburn has seen the team focus on these goals since the loss to the Wildcats.

"We definitely did not play our best lacrosse on Friday," she said. "However, our practices have been really good since then. I think everyone wants to make up for it and have a huge win."

Although the Quakers have a stellar freshman class, Delaware boasts a freshman sensation itself.

"They have a really good freshman named Nicole Flego, who has done a really nice job for them," Brower said. "I think she's one of their best players who we have to watch."

Flego is third on the team in goals, second in points, tied for first in shot percentage, and leads the team in assists.

This game is the last one the Quakers will play against a non-Ivy League or a team unranked as of yesterday's coaches' poll. In fact, three of the next five games after today's are against currently ranked opponents.

As the Quakers approach this crucial stretch, Brower hopes her team doesn't dwell on the Northwestern loss.

"Each game is important," she said. "We were a little disappointed on Friday since we didn't play as well as we could have. But we have to put this behind us and take care of what's in front of us."

With revenge on their minds, the Quakers will have a chance to do so against the Blue Hens.