p0404whb
Allison Ambrozy, a Michigan native, wasn't heavily recruited by Divison I schools, but joined the Quakers as a walk-on freshman year.

At a school like Penn, coming from Michigan isn't anything special. But for a women's lacrosse player, claiming the Great Lake State as home is a rarity.

Junior midfielder Allison Ambrozy comes from Grosse Point, Mich. Ambrozy is one of only two players not from the Mid-Atlantic or New England, and the only member of this year's squad from west of the Appalachians.

Penn is not alone in having a dearth of Michigan players.

"There's not many players from the Midwest," Penn coach Karin Brower said. "If you look at rosters from around the country, you'll see a lot from Colorado, which is the biggest state [west of the Mid-Atlantic] as well as some from California, and soon you'll see more in the Chicago area because of Northwestern, but not a lot from Michigan."

Northwestern is the only school west of Pennsylvania ever to win a national championship.

Partly because of the Wildcats' success, Ambrozy foresees more Michigan players taking up the sport.

"Every time I go home I usually am involved in some [lacrosse] camps or clinics," Ambrozy said. "It's amazing to see the development of the girls over the years, and the sport overall. It's really great because they are starting younger and realizing sooner that college lacrosse is an option."

But the current lack of Michigan players significantly diminished Ambrozy's recruitment in high school.

"I think it's true that it is harder to get recruited because there are less opportunities to show yourself to the coaches," she said. "Being from Michigan, the option of getting recruited never felt real to me, but I knew I was the kind of player that could play with people out here if I got the chance."

In fact, no top flight D-I schools recruited her. Instead, she only got offers from D-III and brand new D-I programs.

However, after fellow Michigan resident and 2006 lacrosse captain Emily Cochran talked up Ambrozy to Brower, the coach invited Ambrozy to walk on.

And she had a lot to prove.

"I never wanted to let the fact that I was from Michigan or didn't get recruited be an excuse for playing poorly or not trying," Ambrozy said. "I never wanted anyone to take me lightly or excuse any part of my game."

After playing well in freshman training camp, Ambrozy earned a spot on the team and played in all 15 games her first year.

Ambrozy built on this performance with a successful 2006 campaign as well. Last year, she started all 16 games, netted 19 goals, and led the team in draw controls, ground balls, and turnovers caused.

This year, the Second-Team All-Ivy selection hopes that her individual performances will translate into team success.

"If that's scoring one day, fine, getting draw controls, ok, big plays on defense, whatever is the order of the day," she said.

In addition to impressive stats, she also brings intangibles to the pitch.

"We have great chemistry together on the field," senior tri-captain Chrissy Muller said. "She also controls the midfield really well. I think she's a true middie since she's good at defense and good at attack."

Brower will no doubt be able to use a "true middie." Even one from Michigan.