ylqsr827
Senior libero Liz Hurst goes for a bump during Penn's 3-0 loss to Cornell. Tonight's match against Princeton will be Hurst's last with Penn.

As it ends its 2006 season, the Penn volleyball team will try to finish on a high note when it travels to play Princeton tonight.

The Quakers (11-13, 6-7 Ivy) will try to reverse their earlier 3-1 loss to the Tigers (20-3, 10-3). When these two teams first met on Sept. 30 at the Palestra, Penn won the first game after trailing 20-11, but dropped the next three, including a 31-29 loss in game four.

But the Quakers have improved since the last meeting, while Princeton has not.

"The second half of the season has gone well," head coach Kerry Carr said. "We're definitely playing a lot better than when we played Princeton the first time. [Princeton] looks the same, but we look better, so I expect a really good matchup."

Specifically, the Quakers will focus on stopping Princeton's offense.

"Princeton has a predictable offense, so we're going to take them out by tough serving," junior Laura Black said.

Despite the team's record, Carr has seen positive signs.

"This year I've seen the most improvement I've ever had in a team," Carr said. "They come out every week and bring energy, excitement and a willingness to learn. You can't ask for anything more. Unfortunately, the season isn't another month; otherwise we would be really strong."

Although Cornell has already clinched the Ivies with its 12-2 record, both Penn and Princeton have a lot to play for tonight.

First, it's the last game for the seniors.

"It's hard, but exciting, to know that this is my last game," senior co-captain Liz Hurst said. "I think we have a good chance to win, too, so that makes it more exciting."

Carr realizes the importance the seniors have had this year, especially Hurst and her backup at libero, Meredith Damore.

"Liz and Meredith have been the backbone of our defense and passing," Carr said. "I just know that Liz will come out and read the hitters well, and when Meredith comes off the bench, she's such a force. They stabilize us."

In addition to being the seniors' last game, it is also a rivalry game.

"There's always a rivalry with Princeton," Hurst said. "I have friend from high school who plays for Princeton, and all summer we were talking trash. So there's even the personal rivalry."

Finally, with a win, the Quakers can finish the season with a .500 Ivy League record, which would place them fourth in the league.