[Toby Hicks/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Third baseman Julia Cheney makes a play from her knees against Brown. Penn lost the first game of its doubleheader but won the nightcap.

After an offensive drought that lasted 13 innings, the Penn softball team's bats came alive to salvage a split of its doubleheader at Warren Field.

The Quakers dropped Game 1, 2-1, but broke out in Game 2 for an 8-0 victory over Brown (11-19, 1-1 Ivy).

The team's loss in Game 1 left their offense in a rut, as they were clinging to a 1-0 lead going into the bottom of the sixth of game two.

But the game shouldn't have been that close. After the bottom of the fourth inning, it appeared that Penn (12-18, 1-3 Ivy) couldn't catch a break.

With Penn senior Jen Nichols on first, junior Kim May smashed a Kristen Schindler pitch over the left-field fence. She had already rounded first when she had to trot back to the batter's box -- Nichols had left first base early and was called out, erasing a two-run homer and a three-run lead.

But May wouldn't let that get to her, and ended up getting a base hit. Even though she didn't end up scoring, her ability to fight back was something of a morale boost for the Quakers.

That would be the story of the game for the Quakers: They couldn't seem to catch a break, but refused to back down.

After May's homer was erased, Penn stepped it up at the plate.

After it was waved off, the Quakers went 6-for-10 with four walks, including a sixth-inning explosion for seven runs. Sophomore shortstop Christina Khosravi had a walk-off solo home run that forced the mercy rule to come into effect.

Bears reliever Heather Garrison didn't get an out and gave up homers to the only two batters she faced -- in an instant the Quakers' bats went from lifeless to dominant.

"We just tried to shake it off," said sophomore second baseman Annie Kinsey, who put the Bears away with her first career grand slam. "If something doesn't go our way, you just have to get it the next time."

The Penn offense may have struggled for part of the day, but the pitching was on from the get-go.

Game 1 starter Olivia Mauro pitched a complete game and gave up just two runs, and freshman Emily Denstedt pitched a gem, tossing a six-hit shutout before the game was called.

Even before the Quakers' bats woke up, Denstedt never lost faith in the offense behind her.

"We came in positive," she said. We were "thinking, 'Let's win every inning, let's play our ball, and let's take it to them.'

"We just kept plugging away and the game eventually broke open and we scored our runs."

The Quakers may not exactly be thrilled with their offensive performance until their seven-run sixth, but they can't help but be pleased a one-run lead turned into a blowout in under an inning.

Penn was originally scheduled to play two doubleheaders this weekend, but Saturday's games were postponed due to rain. The twin bill against Yale will take place today, and the Quakers could use this as fuel to get a head of steam going into the Ivy season.

"We're all-hands-on-deck right now," Denstedt said. "It's really nice."