As the Penn academic year is quickly drawing to a close, so too is the search for the school's next men's basketball coach.

Several sources close to the program say that an announcment from athletic director Steve Bilsky could very well come early this week.

Three head coaches at other Division I programs - Brown's Glenn Miller, Cornell's Steve Donahue and Lehigh's Billy Taylor - appear to be finalists for the job.

Taylor, who several sources say is still the favorite to replace now-Temple coach Fran Dunphy, was on Penn's campus early last week.

A few weeks ago, Lehigh issued a statement that Taylor was happy at Lehigh and had not been contacted for an interview.

That changed on Thursday, however, when the school released a new statement.

"I have a tremendous amount of respect for the University of Pennsylvania, athletic director Steve Bilsky and the basketball program having been able to maintain a high level of success throughout the years," said Taylor in the press release. "As a relatively young coach without a lot of experience in these matters, I feel as though it is worthwhile for me to have discussions with Penn about this opportunity.

"But, at the same time, I am very happy at Lehigh and with my current situation. I have been treated well by everyone. My family and I are proud to be a part of the Lehigh community, and we enjoy being here."

Several sources close to the search say that Taylor will likely return to Penn's campus soon if he is indeed Bilsky's top choice. That's because unlike other candidates, Taylor has yet to meet with players on the Penn team.

Sources say that Donahue and Miller have already met with a group of players from next year's Penn squad.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that Donahue returned to campus for a second interview on Friday.