[DP File Photo] Senior midfielder Kate Parker cradles the ball and runs downfield against Dartmouth last year. Parker and the Quakers fell to Delaware 10-9.

After playing two higher-ranked opponents in its last two games, the No. 18 Penn women's lacrosse team appeared to be set for a well-earned break against an unranked team with a losing record.

Too bad their opponent didn't get the memo.

The Quakers fell 10-9 to Delaware in Newark, Del. last night after the Blue Hens scored four unanswered goals in the final 20 minutes, including the game winner with under a minute to go.

But the defeat was not a matter of Penn collapsing in the end. Delaware (2-3) showed they were ready to play from the beginning. The Blue Hens got out to a quick start, scoring the first two goals.

The Quakers' play was even throughout, but this is not the type of consistency coach Karin Brower wants to see.

"It was a team loss," Brower said. "The bottom line is, we didn't put the ball in the net when we had opportunities."

This failure to capitalize included a paltry .300 shooting percentage and a mere 1-for-5 on free-position shots. By comparison, the Blue Hens scored their 10 goals on just 15 shots, converting on both of their free-position attempts.

Senior midfielder Kate Parker believes that the Quakers' problems went beyond their execution on the field.

There was "a lack of concentration," said Parker, who picked up three ground balls and forced two turnovers. "I think everyone went into it expecting a win, and we didn't put forth the effort to earn it."

Although the game was certainly winnable, Delaware is not the pushover its record might suggest -- each of its three losses were certainly justifiable, coming against teams that received votes for the top 20 in the Inside Lacrosse Media Poll.

But this provides little comfort to a disappointed Quakers squad.

Even though they are frustrated, Brower and the players seem to have channeled this loss into something positive for their upcoming schedule, which includes three games against teams in or hovering around the top 20.

"I think we need to realize that it's early in the season," said senior attacker Ali Ryan, who scored a pair of goals and notched an assist. "We need to take this ... to focus and get better.

"We have to work hard to win it; it won't just happen."

While this is certainly not how the Quakers intended to follow up a win at No. 16 Towson on Sunday, this loss may ultimately be little more than a bump in the road.

Coach Brower thinks her team has learned a valuable lesson.

"The bottom line is that you can't take anybody lightly," she said.

With a tough few games looming ahead, Penn isn't taking anything for granted. The next time, however, the Quakers hope to be the ones doing the surprising.