Jackson

WASHINGTON -- After 16 years of waiting, Gil Jackson finally got what he has "wanted for a long, long time." The former Penn assistant was officially introduced as the head coach of Howard University on Monday, and immediately proclaimed his happiness at taking over the reins of one of the nation's most prestigious historically black colleges. "It's like a dream come true for me to be the head coach at Howard University," he said. "Howard is just such an outstanding academic institution, with the whole community of Howard and the pride that's associated with attending Howard." Jackson came to Penn in 1989 as Quakers head coach Fran Dunphy's first hire, and Howard president H. Patrick Swygert noted Jackson's experience at a top academic institution as one of the main reasons for bringing him to Washington. "He comes from a program marked by both athletic success and academic success," Swygert said. "They have managed to make real the motto of clean and competitive and they've done a very, very fine job of it, due in no small part to coach Jackson's skill, his integrity and his leadership." Jackson inherits a program which has long been out of the spotlight in the nation's capital. The Bison have not won a Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference regular season or tournament championship in 13 years. Previous head coach Frankie Allen was fired after compiling a 52-83 record after five seasons at Burr Gymnasium. That included a 17-game losing streak at the end of this past season. Prior to Allen's arrival, Howard had won only three games in the previous two seasons combined. "Like all families, from time to time we can be difficult and quarrelsome," Swygert said. "I am absolutely convinced that we've got it right this time, the right person at the right time, and he's going to make real all of our hopes and aspirations for this program." Jackson spoke at length about his philosophies of basketball, saying that he would emphasize teamwork and defense. "I tell teams early on that you're asked the two questions that destroy basketball teams by everybody you know," he said "They ask you do you start, and how many points have you scored? That destroys basketball-they never ask you how you play." When asked to compare the recruiting processes at Howard and Penn, Jackson said that there were a few similarities, such as the urban settings and the emphasis on academics. "But at that point, they branch off and are quite different," he said. "They are strong in their own right." Jackson emphasized that he would focus on the present instead of the past when instructing his new players. "I won't be down here talking about the University of Pennsylvania," he said. "I loved that time at Penn, and Penn was a great 16 years. But this is a different challenge, and that's what I want to be about." Nonetheless, current Penn assistant Dave Duke was here for the introduction, offering support for his longtime friend. "It'll be a major adjustment for sure," Duke said. "We're used to what his responsibilities are, we're used to dividing up certain things recruiting and on campus and we'll just have to find another way to do that." As for potential candidates to replace Jackson, Duke said "that would be Fran's call," but he added that Dunphy "may look at a Penn alum -- there's a chance that Matt Langel could move up." Although other former Penn assistants have made regular appearances at the Palestra, Jackson said that he would not be bringing his team north to take on the Quakers because he wanted to be sure of maintaining cordial relations with his former employer. "I want to keep the lines of communication open, I don't want to cloud anything with competing against Penn," he said. "We have a special relationship and it's always hard to play against Lafayette, you know? I don't need that." Lafayette is coached by Fran O'Hanlon, who was an assistant coach at Penn from 1989-95. But his days around the Big 5 may not have come to an end just yet, however. Jackson did express a willingness to play against other Philadelphia teams, specifically mentioning La Salle and Saint Joseph's.