[Kien Lam/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Players from the USA Tomahawks and Australia Kangaroos square off in yesterday's game at Franklin Field. The world's top ranked Australians won, 36-24.

When the halftime whistle blew last night at Franklin Field, the United States looked like it was about to pull off one of the greatest upsets in rugby history.

Forty minutes of inspired rugby produced a 24-6 U.S. lead over the Australian National team, and fans of both squads were more than a little surprised at what they were seeing.

But in the second half, the Aussies proved why they are the world's best team. With six tries in the final half hour of play, Australia rolled to a 36-24 win, and avoided making headlines for the wrong reason back home.

"We thought that we could turn up and be OK, but that wasn't the case," Australia coach Wayne Bennett said. "It was a combination of us being poor and them playing well that put the scoreline so heavily in their favor in the first half."

Bennett fully realized that rugby has a lot of growing to do before it becomes a big sport in this country.

"There's a lot more to be done and there's a lot more infrastructure required, but their guys had enthusiasm and they know how to play," he said. "They tackled good and carried the ball fairly well, so given another decade or so -- it won't happen overnight."

Australia captain Darren Lockyer added that "the World Cup is in Australia in 2008, and that's something [the U.S.] team can be competitive in."

There was no official attendance number given, but it was estimated at between 8,000 and 10,000. The atmosphere was something of a mix of a high school football game and a Big 5 basketball game -- both teams had plenty of fans, but their cheers were swallowed up by the rest of Franklin Field.

Nonetheless, U.S. coach John Cartwright was impressed.

"The crowd was good. They were very noisy, they seemed knowledgeable of the game, and they appreciated good footy."

More than a few fans of the Kangaroos, as Australia is nicknamed, traveled halfway around the world for this game, and did not go home disappointed.

Shane Denley, from Australia's Gold Coast, described Franklin Field as "awesome" and said that he was "going for the Americans because they're the underdogs."

Many of the local fans who attended played the game at some level, especially at area colleges.

"I think it's just fun to actually finally find a game somewhere at a stadium that you can actually go and watch," said Drexel junior Brighid Donnelly, who plays for the Dragons' club women's team.

Temple senior Karl Klotzbach, who plays for the Owls' club men's team, said that it was "a shame that [rugby] hasn't become more popular here in the past. But hopefully it will in the future."

Although the Australians were playing on an artificial surface for the first time ever, team captain Darren Lockyer had no problems with it.

"It was fine. The injuries that we got are more or less bumps and bruises," he said.

Bennett added that the grass stadiums back home are just fine for the game.

"There's not a real need for that type of surface" in Australia, he said.

U.S. captain Jeff Preston, who plays for the American National Rugby League's Philadelphia Fight, was well aware of how much growing the sport has to do before his team can close the gap against teams like Australia.

"I'm a little disappointed," he said of the result. "But we just held our own against the best team in the world."

NOTES: Before the U.S.-Australia game, the Sydney-based Coogie Dolphins beat Pennsylvania's Glen Mills Bulls, 42-10, in an exhibition matchup.