For the first time in five years, the Penn men's basketball team will start its season by playing in the preseason National Invitational Tournament.

The Quakers will christen the 2004-05 season by welcoming Quinnipiac to the Palestra on Nov. 16, one of eight first round games in the tournament. If Penn wins that game, it will face either Niagra or Providence in the second round. A matchup with the latter would be the first meeting between the two teams since the 2002-03 season, when the Friars rallied from six points down in overtime to win in Providence.

Penn men's basketball head coach Fran Dunphy is traveling until Monday and could not be reached for comment.

Four first round games will be played on Nov. 15 -- George Washington at highly-rated Wake Forest; American at Virginia Commonwealth; SUNY-Binghamton at Michigan and the College of Charleston at Colorado. In addition to Penn's game, Niagra-Providence, San Diego-Arizona and Wright State-Tulsa will be played on the 16th.

ESPN2 will broadcast the George Washington-Wake Forest, Niagra-Providence and and San Diego-Arizona games.

The semifinal and final games of the tournament will be played Nov. 24 and 26, respectively at New York's Madison Square Garden. The Quakers' win at the Dreyfus Holiday Classic last December was the team's last appearance at the Garden.

The complete 2004-05 Quakers schedule is expected to be released soon.