Penn men's basketball assistant coach Gil Jackson (left) embraces senior Charlie Copp at the team's annual banquet held yesterday morning at the Inn at Penn. Copp and fellow senior Jeff Schiffner both won awards.[Fred David/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

The season may not have ended on the best of notes for the Penn men's basketball team. But there was still cause for celebration yesterday as the team and a large group of supporters gathered for its annual banquet.

Basketball Club President Tony Janetta, a 1956 Wharton graduate, welcomed the group to the morning brunch held at the Inn at Penn. Guests included Penn Athletic Director Steve Bilsky as well as parents and friends of team members past and present.

Assistant coach Gil Jackson presented the two annual team awards to a pair of graduating seniors.

Guard Charlie Copp received the Bus McDonald Inspirational Player Award. The Tulpehocken, Pa., native started every game of the past season and averaged 7.4 points per game.

"He has put in endless hours to become a better basketball player," Jackson said of Copp. "Ninety-nine percent of the time he was the first one on the practice floor and the last one to leave."

Guard Jeff Schiffner was rewarded for his All-Ivy season with the Arthur Kiefaber Most Valuable Player Award. The Chester, N.J., native led the Quakers with 14.4 points per game.

In presenting the award, Jackson described Schiffner's early desire for playing time.

"You're going to get an opportunity, just be ready," Jackson told him. "An opportunity came in his sophomore year, and he was ready.

"He represents what an Ivy League athlete is all about, and what a collegiate athlete should be about," Jackson added.

Head coach Fran Dunphy also reflected on the past season's ups and downs.

"We went 17-10 and were talking about disappointments, but that just speaks to the quality and tradition of the program," Dunphy said.

The Penn basketball program also said goodbye to its six seniors.

Senior center Adam Chubb, along with Copp and Schiffner, reflected on their four years with the Penn program.

Managers Terry Adams, Matt Bloom and Jason Richman all thanked the players and the coaches for making them feel like part of the team.

At the end of the banquet, the three players presented the three managers with tokens of that sentiment. Each received a Penn jersey with his name on the back.