Former 76ers coach Larry Brown speaks to a group of graduate students last night in the McNeil Building about team management and motivation. [Ari Friedman/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Larry Starr regularly meets Bill Wilkinsky at the Starbucks in Ardmore, Pa.

Both men are professors in the College of Arts and Sciences' master's degree Organizational Dynamics program. Starr is the director of the program and teaches a class called "Organizational Consulting," which involves a unit on coaching. Wilkinsky teaches "The Art and Science of Organizational Coaching."

As luck would have it, into Starbucks one day walked Larry Brown, former Philadelphia 76ers and current Detroit Pistons coach, with his wife. The two teachers talked to the coach about how beneficial it would be if Brown could speak with their classes.

Starr received a call later that day from Wilkinsky.

"Hey, guess what?" Wilkinsky said. "[Brown's] coming to class."

Last night's class was an exciting one for the graduate students in these professors' two classes, as the legendary player and head coach visited the McNeil Building to discuss team management and motivational strategies.

Wilkinsky indicated that Brown readily accepted the invitation, even missing dinner with his wife to accommodate the school's schedule.

According to Starr, Brown was initially nervous about addressing the Ivy League students.

"I said, 'Would you come to Penn and talk?'" Starr said. "And he said, 'Oh gee, Penn, I'm just a coach.'"

Brown indicated that he always envisioned himself in the classroom -- growing up he wanted to be a history teacher at his Valley Stream High School on Long Island.

This was only the coach's second time speaking in front of a class -- the first time coming when he took speech as an undergraduate at the University of North Carolina and, as an exam, was required to give an inspirational talk to the class.

Brown spoke at length about his mentors in life, most importantly his two Hall of Fame coaches at North Carolina -- Frank McGuire and Dean Smith.

"All the coaches I had in my life had great influences on me," Brown said. "I never wanted to let them down."

Brown admitted that, as an undergraduate, he did not particularly like Smith, but his feelings have since changed.

"I respected him as a coach, but I didn't think there was a personal side to him," he said. "Now I consider him my mentor."

Allen Iverson was also mentioned frequently during Brown's presentation.

"I coached one kid in my career who thought he was a rock star," he said. "I felt like I was fighting a losing battle."

"I've seen growth," he added. "Is it enough? No, but it's getting better."

Brown said that Iverson's experience this summer with the U.S. national team -- which Brown coaches -- was a humbling experience for A.I.

Starr was extremely happy with Brown's lesson to the class.

"He understood that this was not just about basketball," he said. "It was about coaching as a metaphor for all kinds of activities that involve working with people."

"This was a treat for me to do," Brown said. "I do love Philly and I hope to be back here for a long time."