Penn senior safety Kevin Stefanski runs into the end zone past Widener quarterback Mike Lomas. Stefanski's touchdown would prove to be enough, as the Quakers shut out the Pioneers, 21-0, in Friday's scrimmage. [Caroline New/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

In Penn's scrimmage against Division III Widener, both teams used the game to watch some of their young players for the first time in game situations, and to get a sense of the teams' progress with two weeks remaining before the start of the regular season.

As in any scrimmage, it's neither the score that matters nor the statistics -- it's the experience of testing out plays against a new defense and doing short-yard, field-goal and goal-line segments.

But anytime a team's defense outscores its opponent's offense, it's worth noting.

Penn senior Kevin Stefanski opened the game's scoring with an interception in the first quarter and returned it nearly 30 yards for a touchdown.

Penn 7, Widener 0.

Or, more specifically, Penn defense 7, Widener 0.

The Quakers went on to score two more touchdowns over the course of the three-quarter scrimmage, winning easily, 21-0.

Penn's defense dominated the scrimmage, led by Stefanski, junior defensive lineman Michael Sangobowale, and an overall effort that limited Widener to very few first downs.

"Defensively, it was important for us to come out strong," Stefanski said. "We harped on being able to make plays, which to us is turnovers and stopping their drives.

"We did that for the better part of the scrimmage, and that was really important for us to establish."

Stefanski credited the defensive line for Penn's defensive success.

"The defensive line played great," he said. "They're big and they're real quick. They can go up against bigger guys and they can shoot the gaps against the quicker guys."

Penn sophomore running back Sam Matthews -- a transfer from Navy -- scored the Quakers' second touchdown.

"We've got some talented skill kids," Penn coach Al Bagnoli said. "Running backs, wide receivers -- they all played well."

Despite Penn's large margin of victory, the scrimmage revealed the parts of the game on which the Quakers need to improve.

"I think we need a lot of work," Bagnoli said. "[We looked] like we needed a scrimmage."

Penn senior quarterback Mike Mitchell mirrored Bagnoli's sentiments.

"I wasn't very happy as far as the offensive performance," Mitchell said. "We came out kind of sluggish on the first series [going] three and out."

Penn's offense improved over the course of the scrimmage, and Mitchell is confident that it's merely a matter of gaining experience as a team that will heal the Quakers' problems.

"As soon as everyone is doing their job and in sync with everybody and everyone's on the same page, that's all we need," he said. "It's hard because you've been to practice, and then you have live situations in the game.

"But that's why we have the preseason game -- to work out all the wrinkles."

In addition, the scrimmage provided several underclassmen the opportunity to see significant playing time.

While Bagnoli was impressed with the overall play of the "younger kids," he singled out the performances of sophomore quarterback Pat McDermott and sophomore wide receiver Kevin Barr.

As expected in the first scrimmage of the season, Penn didn't play perfectly, but did show occasional flashes of greatness.

While there were various highlights on offense -- including an impressive touchdown drive in the two-minute drill led by Mitchell -- it was Penn's defense that was in control throughout the scrimmage.

"That was one of our goals [to shut Widener out]," Stefanski said. "They're a very good Division III team and I think we're a very good Division-IAA team, so a benchmark for us would be a shutout.

"So, goal accomplished."