Penn senior linebacker Steve Lhotak is the only returning defensive first-team All-Ivy selection for the Quakers this season. [Ari Friedman/DP File Photo]

Rob Milanese, the Quakers' all-time leader in every important receiving category, has graduated.

Stephen Faulk, while not the best tailback in the program's annals, had blazing speed and led the Quakers in rushing yards last season. He's gone too.

Despite these losses at the skill positions, senior quarterback Mike Mitchell leads a Penn offense that should be every bit as dangerous as it was a year ago.

Mitchell was second in the Ivy League a year ago with 2,803 yards in 10 games. Frequently, these games were routs, limiting Mitchell's passing attempts; otherwise, his numbers could have been astronomical.

Three receivers -- Joe Phillips, Daniel Castles and Jon Robinson -- should give Mitchell sufficient targets to make up for Milanese's absence.

Tailback Sam Matthews, a transfer from Navy, looked impressive in a scrimmage two weeks ago against Widener. Backing up Matthews are junior Mike Recchiuti -- arguably the most effective running back for Penn a year ago -- and senior Jake Perskie, who is effective in the screen game. The trio should give Penn a running game that can complement its potentially dangerous passing attack.

Most important of all, the offensive line returns intact from a year ago, which will give Mitchell enough time to execute Penn offensive coordinator Andy Coen's spread offense.

A year after averaging 36.3 points per game, Penn's offense could be just as good.

And given how the defense has suffered this preseason, it will need to be.

While the offense lost its leading pass-catcher and runner, the defense was hit even harder by graduation. Lineman Chris Pennington, safety Vince Alexander and linebacker Travis Belden were all unanimous first-team All-Ivy selections.

Alexander made it to the end of training camp with the NFL's New York Jets and Belden was named the MVP of Penn's defense three straight seasons. Cornerback Fred Plaza and linebacker Steven Lhotak were also on the All-Ivy first team.

Lhotak is the only one of the group who returns. Replacing these starters is trying, but doable, under the best of circumstances.

The Penn defense is not undergoing the best of circumstances.

Fifth-year senior defensive lineman Kyle Chaffin, who started every game for Penn a year ago, quit the team in the preseason. Karon Singleton, a backup along the defensive line, also left the team, further depleting its depth.

Junior Ric San Doval, who was second on the team in sacks a year ago at the defensive end position, has been practicing sparingly at his new position of linebacker this preseason due to injuries.

Senior safety Kevin Stefanski underwent knee surgery last week, and the All-Ivy honoree will be forced to miss the whole season.

Each position of the defense has been hit unexpectedly this preseason with some hardship.

Last year's dominating defensive performance climaxed Nov. 16 against Harvard when the Crimson scored no offensive points until the final quarter -- long after the starters had left the field in the 44-9 rout.

Despite returning key players like cornerback Pat McManus and lineman Ryan Strahlendorff, Penn will be hard-pressed to repeat its 13.2 points per game allowed last season relying so much on athletes without significant playing experience.

The defense has talent. Penn teams always do. However, at least in the early going, until players get healthy or inexperienced backups get used to playing, the offense should be looked upon to lead the team.