Penn junior Liz Lorelli, shown against Brown, will lead the Quakers' offensive attack this season. Penn is coming off a team trip to Ireland. [Will Burhop/DP File Photo]

After last year's disappointing 6-11 campaign, the Penn field hockey team was left searching for a little excitement in the program.

They just might have found it -- in Ireland.

In May, the Quakers traveled to the Emerald Isle to scrimmage four club teams, as well as a university team in Dublin.

While the games were played merely for exhibition, Penn head coach Val Cloud feels that the trip gave invaluable lessons to her athletes.

"Every single game we played was a positive experience," she said. "We played lots of field hockey on a very competitive level."

The trip allowed Cloud and her coaching staff to take a look at several players who hadn't received much playing time during the regular season.

"It was good to see kids we haven't really seen compete before," she said. "We took 17 girls and everyone got to play."

But the most important thing Cloud's team took away from the trip was enthusiasm for the upcoming season.

"[The team] came away from that trip with a lot of confidence, knowing that they can play at a higher level" Cloud said. "We now have high expectations for this year."

By simply looking at last year's record, it would seem that Penn shouldn't be so optimistic. But a closer look at last year's results reveals that the Quakers lost seven games by a one goal margin.

"Last year we had a lot of almosts," Cloud said. "We are working to turn those almosts into wins."

Cloud should be very confident with her squad's ability to score goals this season. The trio of junior Liz Lorelli, senior captain Jackie Lange and junior Cecilia Carriquiry -- who collectively scored 24 of the Quakers' 37 goals last season -- returns with one more year of experience under its belt.

However, Carriquiry has yet to practice with the squad this year, due to chronic back problems.

Cloud, though, is "very optimistic" that the Uruguay-native will be ready for the Sept. 6 season-opener against Delaware.

The real test for the Quakers this season will be on defense, which lost three key players to graduation.

Senior captain Emily Farnesi -- an All-Ivy honorable mention last season -- will have to step up to compensate for these losses.

"We lost the whole backfield except for Emily," Cloud said. "That's why the Ireland trip was good. It gave our juniors a chance to prepare for this season."

At goaltender, the Quakers not only return last year's starter, sophomore Amanda Jacobs, but they have added freshman Elizabeth Schlossberg, a U.S. Under-20 National Team member.

Two athletes -- sophomore Lea Salese and junior Sara Shelley -- also played at an extremely high level this summer, both participating in summer league hockey. Salese played "A-Camp," the highest level competition in the summer league and the group from which the national team is selected.

Cloud was more excited for this season than some in recent years.

"I always say I am optimistic before a season starts," she said. "But this year, I truly am looking for a difference."