Ben Rosenau/The Summer Pennsylvanian

Some ran.

Others walked.

A few even dribbled soccer balls.

But no matter how participants in this year's Relay for Life got around the track at Franklin Field, their goal was the same -- to fight cancer.

Last weekend, over 1,000 people gathered at Franklin Field for Philadelphia's Seventh Annual Relay for Life. From noon on Friday to noon on Saturday, they ran, walked and even dribbled in shifts to earn money for the American Cancer Society.

The goal of this year's event was to earn $400,000 for cancer research. In order to do so, each participant was asked to raise $100 from sponsors, family members and friends.

70 teams were divided into groups of ten to fifteen people so that participants were able to take half-hour shifts on the track before passing off the baton to the next member of their group.

The cheers of bystanders, inspirational music and memories of loved ones who battled cancer spurred participants on, so there was not even a moment during the 24-hour stretch that the track wasn't in use.

"Everybody had a very personal reason for being here," Relay Chairwoman and Delaware County resident Cathy Brundage said. "There are nurses, patients and survivors... but it's really dedicated to fighting cancer, and everyone here is committed to seeing that happen."

Nancy Wimmer, an attorney from Lower Merion and a Relay volunteer, said that teams put a considerable amount of effort into preparing themselves for the extended event.

"To see all of these people out here supporting people thrills me," the cancer survivor said. "They look forward to it and spend hours planning and raising money."

After the opening ceremony, where a cancer survivor and caregiver did a lap around the track together, ongoing festivities for those who weren't on track duty included face painting, three-on-three basketball tournaments and cookouts.

The theme of this year's Relay -- Born in the USA -- created a lively atmosphere, as people dressed as Uncle Sam and Betsy Ross mingled with participants. Tents donned in red, white and blue dotted Franklin Field.

And even as the evening progressed into the early morning hours, the energy level among participants remained high.

"I did one of these before and it was pretty fun because people got together to remember people who died of cancer and had a good time," Second-year Pharmacology Student Steve Rudnick said.

The weather, which remained clear with the exception of a late-night downpour, added to peoples' good spirit.

"There have been years with sweltering hot weather and other years with pouring down rain, but this year it's holding up well," Wimmer said.

"It's a whole lot better this year," Dee Coughlin (Nurs. '79) added. "Last year there were monsoons."

By Saturday afternoon, nearly $250,000 had been raised, but participants will have until August to collect the rest of their pledges from sponsors.

Although there were no official winners declared when the day-long relay ended, no one seemed to mind.

People seemed just happy about the fact that there so many participants.

"I never cease to be inspired by all of the people who've been involved," Wimmer said.

Linda Barba of Cherry Hill agreed.

"It's getting bigger and better every year," she said. "I'm happy to be here and I'll be back again."