Yesterday's honoree Bob Hays, Wharton '43 and former golf coach, left, discusses the history of the Penn golf team captains with current golf coach Francis Vaughn. (Andrew Margolies/The Daily Pennsylvanian)

Years ago, he was dubbed "Blinkie," as the excitement of a Penn golf victory would compel him to blink his eyes uncontrollably. Last night, this appellation was fitting, as Bob Hays stood up to express his gratitude for the reception held in his honor. Moments into his speech, Hays' excitement was evident in those notorious blinking eyes. His enthusiasm was understandable, as the room was filled with former players, current players, coaches, friends and family, all enjoying the opportunity to spend a short while with the Penn golf legend. The reception took place in the trophy-filled Mendelsohn Room at the Dunning Coaches' Center. Hays' legacy towers over his diminutive stature. He played for the Quakers from 1941 through 1944, captaining the team his senior year. When the sport was revived after World War II, Hays continued his Penn golf career away from the tee as coach. Hays' accomplishments from that point on are testimony to his coaching prowess. He marshaled the Red and Blue for 30 years and never had a losing season. His career record as skipper was an astounding 331-124 (.729 winning percentage). Despite all his success, the Penn Athletic Hall of Famer felt last night was the pinnacle of his career. "This event is the climax of my career," Hays said. "I was very successful. I had good teams, won big things and never had a losing year. Yet this is a climax to everything." Reuniting with his former players was most rewarding for Hays. "I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of every day that I was with the team," Hays said. "It was pleasure, not work. I never had a player I didn't like, and it is great seeing all the players come back." Penn Athletic Director Steve Bilsky also felt that the throng of former players who attended the reception illustrated Hays' significant legacy. "The fact that he is nearly 80 years old and he comes back for a ceremony to see players from so many years ago arrive in his honor is most distinctive about him," he said. Since Hays' retirement, Penn golf has not enjoyed the same prosperity as it did during Hays' tenure -- it was even briefly cut as a varsity program during the financial crunch of the late 1970s. But, as the Penn men's team continues to remain competitive and the women's team improves with each tournament, Bob Hays can surely find something to blink about.