The Reveille BATON ROUGE, La. (U-WIRE) -- A Louisiana State University student allegedly stabbed the University's dean of students Monday morning, after the student found out he was being investigated for grade tampering, according to Baton Rouge Police. Interim Dean of Students John Baker sent a letter to Marques Smith, 21, informing Smith he was being investigated on the charge, said BRPD Cpl. Don Kelly. The student then allegedly went to Baker's 141 University Highlands Court residence at approximately 7:10 a.m. Monday and posed as an FBI agent, Kelly said. Baker was backing out of his driveway when police said Smith stopped Baker and told him to get out of his car, Kelly said. "When [Baker] saw this guy, he realized he was no FBI agent," Kelly said. Smith stepped between the car and the door, and the two men began to argue, Kelly said. When Baker tried to exit his car, the student allegedly pulled out a large kitchen knife, Kelly said. Baker and Smith then allegedly fought over the knife, and in the process Baker sustained a stab wound to his neck and Smith received a wound to his arm, Kelly said. After the incident, Smith attempted to run away, but one of Baker's neighbors detained him until police arrived, Kelly said. Smith, who was taken to Earl K. Long Hospital and treated for a wound on his arm, was later released and booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison, Kelly said. Smith, a junior in philosophy, is charged with attempted second-degree murder, Kelly said. Baker was admitted to Our Lady of the Lake Medical Center and treated for a stab wound and several cuts to his face and ears, Kelly said. Baker was released from the hospital Monday morning, according to OLOL. Baker has served as interim dean of students since August 1998. He also serves as a professor in the Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies.