Sigma Lambda Upsilon sister marcela Poveda was elected president. The BiCultural InterGreek Council, an umbrella organization for the historically black and Latino fraternities and sororities, announced its executive board for next year yesterday. College junior Marcela Poveda, a member of the Sigma Lambda Upsilon/Senoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority Inc. and the BIG-C's treasurer for the past year, will replace Lambda Upsilon Lambda fraternity member and Wharton senior Ramon Marmolejos as the organization's president. Marmolejos spoke positively about the incoming board, saying he is confident that the new officers will work well together. "There is a combination of experience from Marcela, who was on this board this past year, and a lot of fresh ideas from incoming new board members," he said. Poveda said one of her goals for the upcoming year is to increase the BIG-C's visibility on campus by continuing traditions like the BIG-C-sponsored Penn Relays step show and also by working more closely with the InterFraternity Council and the Panhellenic Council. "We want to improve on our publicity on campus and let people know who we are and what we do," Poveda said. The new executive board also includes College junior and Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity member Nathaniel Dayes as vice president; College sophomore and Alpha Phi Alpha member Brian Dunbar as treasurer; College sophomore Tia Rideout, a Zeta Phi Beta sorority member, as correspondence secretary; College sophomore and Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority member Rene Ashworth as recording secretary; and Zakiya Black, a College sophomore and Alpha Kappa Alpha member, as parliamentarian. Candidates for positions on the six-member executive board delivered speeches on Thursday night. Afterward, five of the eight BIG-C organizations cast one vote for each position. To promote stronger bonds among BIG-C members, Poveda said she wants to organize more study breaks, which are typically held during reading days. Additionally, the incoming board has expressed interest in holding more events sponsored by the entire BIG-C, as opposed to the individual fraternities and sororities. Marmolejos said the goal is to "give individuals the opportunity to come to an event that is representative of all the BIG-C groups." The new board will continue the organization's ongoing efforts to increase membership, Poveda said. The organization has no rush period, but fraternities and sororities will begin to recruit prospective members through their own individualized activities after winter break.