Approximately 20 interested women signed up yesterday as the Phi Sigma Sigma and Pi Beta Phi sororities initiated the Panhellenic Council's first-ever fall rush period. While Phi Sig Sig, which has about 90 sisters, and Pi Phi -- which has about 70 -- are the only two of Panhel's eight sororities participating, the fall rush is open to all non-freshmen women. Panhel Vice President for Rush Cara Schmid, a College senior and Alpha Phi sister, said three sororities -- Delta Delta Delta, Alpha Chi Omega and Sigma Delta Tau -- already meet the 115-member quota. The other three -- Chi Omega, Alpha Phi and Kappa Alpha Theta -- are close to full capacity and have decided not to participate in fall rush. "[Fall rush] is a great opportunity for upperclassmen to join the system," Schmid said. "It's been really successful at other schools and it's a way for us to strengthen our system before the spring rush." Panhel sent notices about fall rush to all non-Greek upperclass women earlier this week and both of the participating sororities set up tables yesterday in the Veranda at 3615 Locust Walk, where interested women met current members and gathered information about the organizations. According to Panhel President Becca Iverson, a College senior and Chi Omega sister, the fall pledge period will last approximately six weeks instead of the typical 12 and initiation will take place before the end of the semester. The sororities will distribute bids on September 30, the last day of rush. Unlike Panhel's formal spring rush process, which is characterized by numerous strict guidelines, the continuous open bidding process is organized individually by the rush chair of each sorority. And interested women may rush more than one house. Each sorority will hold three informal rush events -- which include television nights, dinners, coffee gatherings and trivia nights -- at its house. Phi Sig Sig and Pi Phi have scheduled their events for different nights so that prospective pledges can rush both sororities. Pi Phi Social Chairperson Gina LaPlaca, a College junior, said "We like the relaxed atmosphere of fall rush and we want upperclassmen to get to know us and look at sorority life in a more casual atmosphere." And Pi Phi member and College junior Erin Murphy added, "Spring rush is very rushed -- girls are in and out of the house very quickly. Here they actually get to sit back with no time restrictions." Pi Phi has accepted women to its sorority in the fall in previous years. And Phi Sig Sig has issued a couple bids in the fall in past years but has never had an organized continuous open bidding process, according to Phi Sig Sig Rush Chairperson Jamie Cohen, a College senior. "Hopefully, the less pressured, more informal environment will give the rushees and sisters a chance to get to know each other much better," Cohen said. "We feel it would be a good deal for us and for any upperclassmen and transfer students interested." Christine Richmond, a College junior who just transferred to Penn from the University of Calgary, said she plans to rush both Phi Sig Sig and Pi Phi. "At my old university, we didn't have sororities," Richmond said. "I think it's a great way to meet new people and get involved in the University."