The largest-ever dinosaur exhibit is expected to provide a boost to tourism in the city. An immense Tyrannosaurus rex and about 125 other dinosaur re-creations have invaded West Philadelphia. Don't be afraid, though -- the monsters are about to pump some serious money into the city's economy. Two days from now, the Philadelphia Civic Center will open its doors for Dinofest, the largest dinosaur exhibit in the world, featuring lifelike re-creations of dinosaurs from all corners of the world. The month-long exhibit -- which includes a three-day symposium for 100 paleontologists -- is expected to boost the city's overnight tourism and attract half a million people from the Northeast, according to Liz Carey, a spokesperson for the event. Carey, who works for the Academy of Natural Sciences -- which is sponsoring the event -- described Dinofest as an "art show, a scientific symposium and an education initiative." Officials from the Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau estimated that the event might provide a $15 million surge in the city's economy, mainly from tourists staying in hotels, eating at restaurants, visiting other city attractions and buying souvenirs. The bureau is working with five area hotels to create attractive package deals combining Dinofest admission with room and restaurant costs, according to Sue Schwenderman, a spokesperson for the office. "We're happy Dinofest is happening during [many people's] spring break because people are thinking of traveling then," Schwenderman said. She also stressed that the bureau is making sure visitors are aware of other Philadelphia attractions -- most notably the new Dinosaur Hall at the Academy -- when they visit Dinofest. "Dinosaurs kind of cut across demographics," Carey noted. Dinofest is not only about dinosaur bones, however. It has a "dinomation" exhibit with robotic dinosaurs spitting out water. Another exhibit, "A Walk Through Time," shows the remnants of prehistoric mammals, including giraffes, elephants, rhinoceroses and human beings, some of which are displayed in battle scenes. One of the highlights of the exhibit is its original art show, which extends for several thousand feet and displays "the most famous works of dinosaur art in the world," according to Ned Gilmore, a specialist from the Academy. Scattered throughout the exhibit are collections of dinosaur eggs, embryos, fossils and amber, as well as China's fabled "feathered dinosaur." The symposium, lasting from April 17 to 19, will feature a keynote speech by prominent Harvard scientist Stephen Jay Gould. It will also feature a $60-a-plate banquet called "Dinofeast," which will serve "prehistoric-type foods." Carey said Dinofest focuses on the idea that "science isn't completely abstract." She has already planned satellite field trips with the Philadelphia school system. Don Wolberg is the man behind these dinosaurs. A paleontologist from New Mexico, Wolberg created the Dinofest concept in 1994, when it premiered in Indianapolis. It made its way to Tempe, Ariz., in 1996. But Dinofest is not a traveling exhibit, Wolberg said, since its components are sent back each time to their owners across the world. Wolberg said teaching children about dinosaurs opens students' minds to the larger world of science. "When most kids in school can't find Canada on a map, and think the language spoken in Latin America is Latin, they all know Tyrannosaurus rex and triceratops," he said. "These are powerful concepts." The Civic Center, located at 34th Street and Civic Center Boulevard, has been closed for two years, but has reopened for flower shows, auto shows and concerts. Recently, it served as a sound stage for the film adaptation of the novel Beloved. Admission to Dinofest -- which will close on April 26 -- is $15 for adults, $10 for children ages 3-12 and free for kids 2 and under.