Administrators and students will pressure area businesses to repave streets and sidewalks. A newly formed University team comprised of administrators and students will focus on cleaning up the 40th Street corridor between Sansom Street and Baltimore Avenue. The 40th Street Action Team will work on identifying the area's problems and developing solutions -- within 45 days. Executive Vice President John Fry, who created the team, said he hopes it will put pressure on city officials and local businesses to clean up the area. "There are some things out there that don't take long deliberative study but require quick action," Fry said. The group met for the first time last Friday and will continue to meet at least once a week, according to co-Chairperson Diane-Louise Wormley. "We want to make sure the things we do are self-sustaining," said Wormley, who is the associate treasurer for cash management. Fry said the group will probably disband after the 45-day period, although the University will maintain a presence in the area. The team will especially work to improve lighting conditions along 40th Street. But to accomplish that goal, the University must ask the city for help. The team will also put pressure on the city to repave roads and sidewalks on 40th Street. Trash and graffiti in the area are among the serious problems the team identified, Wormley said. "We want to start knowing where the graffiti is so we can clean it up," she added. Team members have proposed a "zero tolerance" graffiti plan and a weekend cleaning program, although neither are fully developed. Graffiti can be reported to the University by calling 898-0000 or e-mailing zerotol@pobox.upenn.edu. Both Physical Plant and University City Associates have committed to keeping the area clean in the future. "The goal is to attack the core of underlying causes for why people feel they can come into the area? and commit crimes," said Maureen Rush, chief of University Police operations and another co-chairperson for the new team. The University's Special Service Division and Public Safety Mini-Station will move from 3927 Walnut Street to office space in a 40th Street storefront near Burger King. Fry said he did not want to wait until the new Public Safety headquarters at 4020-4060 Chestnut Street was complete in order to establish a police presence on 40th Street. With the University developing a special services district proposal to present to City Council, Fry said he hopes community members will join the University in its efforts to improve 40th Street. "We can model something here that is impressive," Fry said. The team will study commercial development for the block in conjunction with the University's larger retail plans. The team will look for new tenants for the street's vacant properties, while also working with local vendors to find other, more suitable locations for their businesses. To improve the area's outer appearance, the team plans to paint the facade of Ryan Mall, the set of stores on 40th Street between Walnut and Locust streets. Administrators from Government, Community and Public Affairs, Facilities Management and the Dental School make up most of the team. The group also includes two students -- Undergraduate Assembly Chairperson Tal Golomb, a College junior, and Graduate and Professional Student Assembly member David Scott, a Wharton graduate student.