For the first time all season, the Quakers actually looked more fired up than the opposing team. And the Red and Blue's success on Saturday was indicative of that enthusiasm. Looking back at each game this season, Penn has always been the quiet team -- from the pre-game warm-ups to the post-game press conference. When the Quakers and their opposition each took the field to stretch and run some last minute drills, it was always clear that Penn had no life and perhaps no game face. Every time Colgate or Brown or any other school with a mediocre record took the field for warm-ups, they took it by storm. With brute shouting, synchronized clapping and piling together in a frenzy of energy, every other squad the Quakers faced showed the intensity and adrenaline it takes to win a football game before the action even started. With the Quakers, they always came onto the field clapping. But after that, they stretch silently, quietly break off into individual units and finally huddle together without any of the heart seen by their foes. And during the game, it has been much the same way. The Penn bench does inch down the sidelines following their drives, but, from the first snap of the first play, you rarely see any true interest in the game, with the exception of the occasional big play. When facing Penn, the Columbia sideline was always enchanted with each and every play. You could see it in the Lions' faces and actions. You could see it in their play on the field. But you could not see it on the Red and Blue sideline. That trend continued after the game as well. Watching the Quakers coaching staff after a win is like watching the Quakers coaching staff after a loss. Penn coach Al Bagnoli and the players never show any content over winning a football game. And even though that might show just how much of perfectionists Bagnoli and the Quakers have become, it also shows that they don't take the time to actually acknowledge the win. Watching every team that has beaten the Red and Blue in the press conference, the coaches and players have expressed complete satisfaction -- despite the poor play in one area of the team. Columbia coach Ray Tellier was patting his players on the back. Brown coach Mark Whipple had a big smile on his face. Even Dartmouth coach John Lyons, after what could be the sloppiest played game in the 1996 Ivy League season, was obviously proud of his team. But Saturday was a different story -- and it showed. Although the Quakers were still all-but silent in warm-ups, they were still louder than the Elis. During the opening plays, everyone -- on and off the field -- was celebrating a five-yard run, a first down or a good, clean reception. Emotionally, it was a completely different Penn team on the field. And in the press conference, Bagnoli even showed signs of relief, if not satisfaction. Bagnoli even complimented his team's play, without the usual references to having to check the videotapes first. And while Bagnoli's team did play (for the first time) worthy of praise, it was apparent that it would from the moment they took the field. Whether it was the homecoming crowd which spawned such spirit or just a sense of urgency, the fact remains that the Quakers seemed to care about winning for the first time all season. If Penn can keep up that spirit, it is a sure thing that they will continue to improve.