and Becca Iverson U.S. Rep. Robert Borski is known for repeatedly putting his constituents first. Last night, the residents of Pennsylvania's 3rd District -- which encompasses Northeast Philadelphia -- returned the favor, reelecting the Democrat to his eighth consecutive term. When a 3rd District resident accidentally stopped receiving her Social Security checks, Borski himself handled the situation, district committee member Mike Schrage said at last night's victory party. When the resident visited the congressman's office, Borski immediately made several phone calls to resolve the matter. In an overwhelming victory in the moderately conservative, working-class district, Borski defeated Republican challenger Joseph McColgan, 71 to 29 percent, with 51 percent of precincts reporting. Borski arrived at the victory party amidst thunderous applause but little suspense. The several hundred people in the crowd -- who shared old memories while waiting for the congressman -- anticipated an easy win. "It looks like it's the highest percentage vote we've ever received," Borski told The Daily Pennsylvanian. "For that I am very grateful to the people in the district." During Borski's 14-year tenure, he has actively protected the interests of senior citizens, who make up one-third of his district and attended yesterday's victory party in full force. Borski has fought for health care reform and Social Security, and he said his "top priority" for this term is Medicare. Closer to home, Borski has successfully argued for increased funding for SEPTA and saved many local jobs by preventing the closure of Philadelphia's Navy depot. "He's good for the neighborhood," said resident Harry Searl, a Borski supporter and close friend. "He'll be around for a long time." In 1990, McColgan's first attempt to unseat Borski , the Republican fell short by more than 20 points. He has been an outspoken opponent of big government and high taxes. Surrounded by his wife and five children during his acceptance speech, Borski thanked his supporters profusely, saying "there is no greater honor" than to receive the backing of so many of his constituents. One of Borski's closest supporters, his daughter Jill, voted for her father for the first time yesterday. "I'm glad I got to vote for him this time," she said, adding that her 18th birthday was two days ago. "He's my dad -- and I agree with his views."