New Orleans has always had its Mardi Gras, and New York City its New Year's Eve all-night decadence. Now finally Philadelphia, that often overlooked East Coast City with a reputation for being nasty to tourists, is hosting its own holiday party worthy of national stature -- "Welcome America." In principle, "Welcome America" resembles the patriotic national holiday known to most Americans as "Independence Day." But how an 11-day holiday, complete with an appearance by the Beach Boys and enough fireworks to forever tint the smog from the Schuylkill Expressway, be referred to by the name of a holiday only occurring one day a year? Last year, about a million tourists and city residents alike took part in a more modest, six-day version of the celebration. Welcome America spokesperson Caroline Piven estimated that this figure could more than double this year. "Sunoco Welcome America has two purposes," she said. "To celebrate America's birthday for everyone in the area, and to make Philadelphia a destination city." Today's first Welcome America activity, a "Summer Mummer's Parade," begins at 7 p.m. at the Gallery. Hundreds of Philadelphia famed New Years paraders will march from City Hall to the Liberty Bell. And as early as 6 a.m. Saturday, hot air balloons will be released into the air at the New Jersey waterfront and set adrift above the Delaware River. Too tired from all that booing and cheering at the Welcome America boxing fight between Prince Charles Williams and Merqui Susa at the Pennsylvania Convention Center Friday night? Don't worry -- the Moon Glow Balloon Festival will be repeated at 8:45 p.m. that evening, and at 6 a.m. each morning of the celebration. Other events on Saturday include the Liberty Lighted Boat Parade and Concert at Penn's Landing from 7 p.m. until 11 p.m., and late-night shopping in Center City. Shopping opportunities continue on South Street the next day with the "Great American South Street Skate, Picnic and Sidewalk Sale." At noon July 2, the Independence Seaport Museum at Penn's Landing will officially open its door to the public. And from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., the concerto Soloists Concert Band will fill Independence National Historic Park at 5th and Market Streets with chamber music. Fireworks begin at 8 p.m. Monday night at Penn's Landing, Philadelphia Mayor Ed Rendell will honor United Nations High Commissioner of Refugees Sadako Ogata of Japan with the Philadelphia Liberty Medal at 5th and Chestnut streets. At 1:30 p.m., the Pennsylvania Society of the Sons of the Revolution will present a band concert at Independence Square at 5th and Market streets. Touch the Liberty Bell at Independence Square, while at the same time a bell-ringing from the Centennial Bell in the Independence Hall Tower will begin and by the America Starts Here! parade at 20th Street and John F. Kennedy Boulevard. Welcome America festivities culminating later that Independence Day with fireworks at the Benjamin Franklin Parkway by the Art Museum at 8 p.m. The Beach Boys and the Philadelphia Orchestra will lull the lengthy celebration to a close with the "Sunoco Sweet Sounds of Liberty."