Annenberg School for Communication Dean Kathleen Hall Jamieson will be serving on a national panel evaluating undergraduate education at research universities. Jamieson said the panel is going to examine alternative ways to educate undergraduates in higher education. She added that it was selected to represent both public and private institutions. "It's an attempt to step back from the entire process and take a look at where we have been and where we are going," she added. The panel also contains professors from the University of California at Berkeley, University of Chicago, State University of New York at Stony Brook, University of Virginia and Yale University. The senior vice president from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting is also on the panel. The idea for this panel originated from Stony Brook President Shirley Kenny. It is also being supported by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. The panel is slated to issue a report next spring. Jamieson said it expects to set up at least three meetings, the first of which is expected to take place this summer. Provost Stanley Chodorow said he thinks it is great that Jamieson has been chosen to serve on this committee. And University Spokesperson Barbara Beck said that Jamieson is "an excellent choice" for the panel. "She is a committed academic who year after year after year inspires undergraduates through her teaching and research," she said. "Dean Jamieson is yet another example of Penn's academic excellence." Beck added that many universities doing similar analysis of undergraduate education, including the University. "Judith Rodin is one of a few doing something about it. She has made it one of her goals as the President of the University of Pennsylvania," she said. "Today Penn offers a first rate undergraduate education," she added. "It is more competitive and more highly regarded as an undergraduate school than ever before. "However as good as penn is, it can be better," Beck added. "And we'll lead the way for undergraduate education for the 21st century."