Softball_Feature_Yang

Freshman infielder Lucy Yang has given the Quakers an immediate lift, both with her bat and her glove.

Credit: Biruk Tibebe

So far in 2018, the theme has been all about adjusting to changes for Penn softball. With the team having to deal with some injuries and losing program legends like Leah Allen and Alexis Sargent, the Quakers were looking for standouts. 

From West Hills, California, enter freshman stud Lucy Yang.

The freshman infielder has been playing lights out for the Quakers (11-15, 7-5 Ivy), making an immediate impact. 

So far this season, Yang has started and played in all 26 games, the only player on the team to do so. Yang has had an impeccable start at bat, having five home runs so far, the most on the team.

The super-slugger freshman also takes the top spot in the Ivy League for the most runs batted in with 23 total. 

“Her bat has been a huge impact for us,” outfielder and junior captain Jessica England said. "Having that power to pick us up is huge.”

Because of her outstanding Ivy League slugging percentage of .464, Yang poses a threat to other teams, making her one of the conference's biggest competitors. 

The competition has recognized Yang’s impeccable hitting, and for that reason she's been walked 14 times, which ranks Yang with the most in the Ivy League. 

“So far, it’s been a blast," Yang said. “The team has been very welcoming, and it’s been really nice having a team of 22 to just back you up.”

Despite her gaudy batting statistics, Yang does have some room for improvement in the field. So far this season, Yang has made 11 errors, also a team-high.

But with her imposing numbers and drive to get better, Yang’s heart and grit are recognized by fellow teammates.

“I love Lucy; me and her get along," England said.

Senior Jurie Joyner, a one-time Ivy League Rookie of the Year, sees a lot of herself in Yang: “That’s my girl,” she said. “She is just very dedicated, and more than just the stats, she's someone who really cares about the game.”

Yang has been impressing in all realms of the game, and the future looks bright for this impactful freshman.