DPPOW_McGeagh

With Penn baseball trailing by three runs entering the ninth inning of game three, junior third baseman Matt McGeagh knocked a clutch game-tying two-run shot to send the game to extras.

Here’s a stat baseball fans won’t see very often: Tie. 

Yet when darkness forced Penn and Dartmouth’s teams to abandon a 4-4 game after 11 innings, it was Penn third baseman Matt McGeagh who was responsible. 

McGeagh’s two-run homer tied the game for the Quakers and completed a comeback after they entered the bottom of the ninth down by three. 

McGeagh only had three hits spread out across the three-game series, but the junior made the most of them. Each of his hits registered at least one RBI, giving him a total of five RBI. That efficient and timely hitting helped propel the Quakers to a perfect 1-1-1 series split. 

Over the course of the weekend, McGeagh notched two extra-base hits, including the game-tying dinger on Sunday night. On the field, the third baseman notched a total of 10 assists. 

McGeagh’s five RBI led the team this weekend, and increased his season total to 23, eight more than his second-place teammate. He also leads the team in home runs, with five. The team’s best slugger doesn’t always notch a ton of hits, but so far this season, he’s made the most of them, making him this week’s DP Sports Player of the Week. 

As the Ivy League baseball season continues to warm up with the weather, expect McGeagh’s bat to stay hot.