Vecchio

Senior defensive end Louis Vecchio racked up 36 tackles and three sacks for the Quakers this past season.

Louis Vecchio, a four-year defensive end for Penn football, has decided to continue his playing career at Vanderbilt University. 

The two-time All-Ivy League selection from Orange, California has one season of NCAA eligibility remaining following his senior season at Penn. Vecchio is eligible to play an additional season, because of an injury he suffered his sophomore year which caused him to miss all but two games.

However, Ivy League rules state that varsity athletes cannot compete after they have graduated. Therefore, Vecchio, who is choosing to graduate this May, will not be allowed to play Ivy League football next season. Had Vecchio instead chosen to delay his graduation to  next fall, similar to how Penn 2016 graduate and wide receiver Cam Countryman approached his final year, he would've had the opportunity to play another season with the Quakers.

The NCAA, on the other hand, allows players in Vecchio’s situation to play a fifth season even after graduating in spring. For this reason, Vecchio, listed as a graduate transfer, will be able to take the field immediately next season for Vanderbilt.

In his senior year with the Red and Blue, Vecchio totaled 36 tackles (8.5 for a loss), three sacks, and a forced fumble. He will surely be put to the test next season by going up against stout SEC offensive lines week in and week out.

All comments eligible for publication in Daily Pennsylvanian, Inc. publications.