10252012_homecomingfootballvsbrownzoe076
Football defeats Brown in the homecoming game, 20-17, in the last two minutes with a field goal from Connor Loftus.

An era has ended for Penn football.

After 22 seasons at Penn — including 19 as quarterbacks coach — Larry Woods announced his retirement Wednesday.

In his time on campus, Woods tutored seven of the Quakers’ top 10 all-time leaders in passing yards, including three-time Ivy champion Billy Ragone and eventual Major League Baseball star Mark DeRosa.

“It’s just time,” Woods said in a press release. “ I’ve been fortunate to be around some great people — both coaches and players — and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Penn. It’s my home. In a rather transient occupation, to stay at one place for this long is rare, and I’ve been fortunate to be a part of nine championships in 21 years.”

Under Woods’ guidance, four different Penn quarterbacks notched 350+ yard single-game passing efforts. This includes Gavin Hoffman, the school’s all-time leading passer and Woods’ first quarterback to receive an NFL contract, a free agent deal with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2000.

With Woods leaving, the Penn coaching staff knows it has lost a valuable member.

“After a very long and accomplished coaching career I would like to express my appreciation to Larry for all he has done for our football program,” coach Al Bagnoli said. “I will certainly miss his friendship, professional insight and coaching expertise.”

But Woods is more grateful for what he was able to accomplish off the field.

“I would like to think that I had some small impact on those championships and on the lives of my players,” he said. “I tried to help shape them, impart some bit of wisdom and knowledge and develop them both as quarterbacks and, more importantly, men.

“It can’t get any better than that.”