Who to root for (Day 7)

Well, last night was not good for Penn's chances of boosting its NCAA Tournament seed. Now, the question is whether Penn will fall to a 15 seed. I say no. The Quakers only fell to 100th in the RPI. Still, Penn could use a few upsets in the coming days to solidify that 14 seed. Here's here you should root for:

Penn's projected seed: 14
Conference leaders/winners behind Penn in the RPI: 9
Penn's RPI ranking: 100th

Atlantic 10 Tournament
Penn can boost its RPI a bit this week if the Big 5 fares well at the A-10 Tournament. Therefore, root for No. 9 Temple to beat No. 8 Rhode Island tonight. However, the Quakers would get more help from a bad team winning this conference tournament. So root for No. 12 Dayton to upset No. 5 St. Joe's. No. 7 UMass is actually well behind No. 10 Xavier (as well as Penn) in the RPI, so root for them. Finally, root for No. 6 Fordham to fall to No. 11 Richmond. I know Penn played Fordham earlier in the year, but you have to apply the same thinking as the St. Joe's game.

Big East Tournament
All of these teams will be seeded higher than Penn in the NCAA Tournament. Root for any of the teams playing today and keep an eye on the Battle of New Jersey (No. 7 Seton Hall vs. No. 10 Rutgers). The winner of that game plays No. 2 Villanova.

Big Sky Tournament
No. 1 Northern Arizona plays No. 2 Montana in the conference finals. Too bad Montana didn't lose in overtime last night to No. 3 Eastern Washington. That would have given Penn a good shot at being seeded ahead of the winner of this conference. Now it seems like either team that wins will be seeded higher than Penn. Still, root for Northern Arizona here. Montana has an RPI of 69, much higher than the Quakers. The Lumberjacks, however, are ranked 115th, which is much closer to Penn.

Big West Tournament
This tourney gets underway today in Anaheim, Calif. Root for anyone in the opening round because they'll all be seeded lower than Penn.

Conference USA Tournament
Root for any of the teams playing in the opening round today in Memphis. These guys will all be ranked lower than Penn in the field of 65.

Horizon League Tournament
No. 1 Wisconsin-Milwaukee won the automatic bid last night with a win over No. 2 Butler. They'll definitely be seeded ahead of Penn.

Mid-Continent Tournament
No. 1 Oral Roberts also punched a ticket to the Big Dance last night. They will certainly be behind the Quakers in the tournament field.

Mid-eastern Athletic Conference Tournament
Longtime Penn assistant Gil Jackson won his first ever conference tournament game last night as No. 9 Howard upset No. 8 North Carolina A&T. Root for the Bison to keep it rolling tonight as they take on No. 1 Delaware State. Regardless, the winner of this conference will be seeded behind Penn.

Mountain West Conference Tournament
No. 9 TCU (the worst team in this conference) won't win the automatic bid, as they lost tonight to No. 8 Colorado State. Now Penn fans should root for No. 7 Wyoming to win it all. The Cowboys are the only other team left in this conference that would be seeded behind the Quakers. They start their conference tourney tonight when they take on No. 2 Air Force.

Northeast Conference Tournament
Another battle of New Jersey takes place tonight as No. 1 Fairleigh Dickinson takes on No. 3 Monmouth tonight for a spot in the NCAA Tournament. Root for either team because both will be seeded behind Penn.

Pac-10 Tournament
Root for any of the teams in today's opening round games in Los Angeles. They're all pretty bad and have little chance of winning this tournament.

Sun Belt Conference Tournament
South Alabama won the automatic bid tonight with a win over Western Kentucky. They will be seeded ahead of Penn in the tournament field.