Early look at Delaware

Penn heads down to Newark, Del. to take on the Blue Hens Wednesday, and for an early scouting report, we can look at how Delaware did last night when they played Villanova, also the Quakers' most recent opponent.

Perhaps most telling was the final score: 78-59, Wildcats. When Penn hosted Nova two weeks ago, it held the Big 5 rival to a twelve-point game, and one that was by most accounts winnable for Penn. Last night, Nova was boosted by 21 points from Corey Fisher, while Penn-killer Corey Stokes — who scored 34 against the Quakers — was held to a quiet 10 points, eight of which came from the charity stripe.

But the Quakers aren't worried about Stokes or Villanova anymore. For Delaware it was guard Jawan Carter — who scored 35 last year in the double overtime victory over Penn — who paced the Blue Hens with 14 points. Forward Jamelle Higgins scored 12 and led Delaware with eight rebounds.

The Blue Hens were able to force 17 turnovers against No. 11 Villanova. But where they really faltered was in fouling; they committed 28 on the night and Villanova converted on 28 of 35 free throw shots (80%).

If Delaware comes out physical again Wednesday, it might be to the Blue Hens' advantage this time. As my colleague Kevin Esteves pointed out, Penn is shooting just 66.5% at the free-throw line.