The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Penn Baseball vs. Yale

Penn baseball kicked off its Ivy season in ideal fashion on Monday at Meiklejohn Stadium. The Quakers swept their afternoon doubleheader with Yale, winning by scores of 6-1 and 11-9.

The Good: (Crooked) Numbers on the Boards

The Penn bats appear to be heating up at just the right time. The Red and Blue put up 17 runs and scattered 21 hits off Yale arms in the doubleheader. A handful of Penn players had impressive days at the plate, but none more so than senior left fielder Rick Brebner, who hit huge home runs in each game. Overall, Brebner went 5-9 on the day with seven RBI. The Quakers continued their habit of punishing opposing pitchers with the deep ball, as the squad launched four balls over the fences in the two-game set. The Quakers have now averaged 10 runs per game in their last four contests.

The Bad: Yale’s Attempt to hit Dan Gautieri

Yale’s bats were no match for the Penn righty, who submitted his best performance of the season in the first contest, throwing a complete game four-hitter. Gautieri had a no-hitter through three and a third innings, and a shutout through six and two thirds. The top half of the Bulldog lineup especially struggled – Yale’s first five hitters mustered just one hit the entire game and also fanned four times.

Gautieri, the Ivy League Leader in strikeouts with 34, struck out a total of six Bulldogs in his seven-inning effort.

The Ugly: Glenn’s Early Exit

After fellow junior Gautieri went the distance in game one, lefty Ronnie Glenn lasted less than three frames in the second half of the doubleheader. Glenn gave up seven hits and five runs – three of them earned – before getting pulled. Glenn, who has the highest ERA among Penn starters at 6.31, is still getting adjusted to his starting role. Fortunately for the Quakers, freshman Jake Cousins came in and pitched four and a third innings of two hit ball to keep the Red and Blue in the ballgame.