More wins for Baseball; more scheduling for Hoops

Without playing a game, and six months before its season begins, the Penn baseball team picked up a few extra victories.

If only it were always that easy.

On Wednesday, the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions announced the first major infraction in Georgetown history. The school's baseball program paid $61,000 in federal work study grants to 26 players from 2000-01 through 2006-07 for work that the athletes did not complete. The NCAA committee's full report is available here [pdf].

And as a result of the violation, which was self-reported in 2007, the Hoyas will forfeit all baseball games during those years in which any of the improperly paid players participated. Georgetown has said that it will not appeal the penalty. (The program will also be placed on probation for three years, have its number of permissible grants-in-aid capped at five through the 2011-12 academic year and be required pay a $61,000 fine to the NCAA.)

Schedules and box scores prior to the 2002-03 season are not available online or in either of the school's media guides.  But the Quakers were 0-2 against the Hoyas in '03-'04 and 1-1 in '06-'07. The NCAA report does not say which players were involved, so it's impossible to determine if they participated in those games. It seems, however, that the Quakers could have three victories coming their way -- more if they played Georgetown in 2000-01 or '01-'02.

*   *   *

My colleague Zach Klitzman detailed the M. Hoops schedule in yesterday's Welcome Back Issue. (If you haven't seen the print edition, I would check out the pdf, if for no other reason than to see the paper's dramatically different layout.)

Since then, two more scheduling notes, leaving Villanova as the only City Six opponent without a confirmed date:

• Drexel will play the Quakers at the Palestra in a pre-Thanksgiving Break tilt on Nov. 24.
  • Saint Joseph's will play the Quakers at the Palestra on Jan. 25.
This post was updated on Sept. 4 to correct Georgetown's nickname.