Turn Back the Clock | Loftus leads Penn football past Brown on 2012 Homecoming

Despite the recent struggles of Penn Football’s 2014 campaign, with Brown in town this weekend for homecoming we look back to 2012 when Penn inched a win out of Brown

On October 27, 2012, the Quakers hosted the Bears. Though the Red and Blue sat near the top of the Ivy League, the team’s homecoming matchup was Brown, which held one of the league’s top defenses.

Penn didn’t dominate on either side of the ball. Fortunately for them, neither did the Bears.

The game was run not by the offense or the defense, but by the special teams as the matchup featured 14 total punts between the Ancient Eight foes.

Fortunately for the Red and Blue their special teams was that much better.

Penn managed to punt the ball within the 20-yard line five times. Which, more often than not lead to long scoreless drives for the Bears.

Following a Brown field goal in the beginning of the fourth quarter, the Bears lead 17-14. Defensive back and kick returner Dexter Davis returned the proceeding kickoff to the Bears’ 49-yard line.

Unfortunately for Brown, Davis wasn’t the only special teams stud that weekend; as Connor Loftus drilled a 45-yard game tying field goal. A few minutes later he hit a 35-yard game winning field goal.

“In any close game, special teams play tilts field position,” Bagnoli said, “Ultimately it’s how tight games are won.”

The Red and Blue would go on to take the Ivy crown for the third time in four years.

If you ask anyone, Penn’s strength, and only consistent unit, that season was its special teams.

Though this time around Penn isn’t atop the Ivy League, just like two years ago, Penn’s homecoming opponent is Brown, and like two years ago, The Quakers’ special teams looks good.