Roundtable: Who needs to step up for men's soccer?

Penn men's soccer currently finds itself tied for first in the Ivy League. Which player or group needs to step up the most if the Quakers are going to win the Ancient Eight?

Sports Editor John Phillips: While scoring comes and goes,comma and shooters like junior Duke Lacroix and senior Stephen Baker will have good days and bad days, Penn's defense is going to have to continue to step up in the same way they have recently. The Quakers are just one of four teams in the NCAA that haven't allowed a goal in league play, and the longer they keep that streak going, the better their chances.

So it's all on Tyler Kinn. The senior goalkeeper has had an easier time this year thanks to the improved defense led by co-captain Jonny Dolezal, but there is going to come a game or two where Kinn will be asked to come up big in net, and he'll have to respond. His goals against average is at a solid 1.43, but if he can get that number a little lower, then the Quakers will be in every game.

Senior Staff Writer Mars Jacobson: I'd definitely agree with John that Penn's defense is going to make the greatest difference in the Quakers' bid for an Ivy title. College soccer games, in the Ivy League especially, are defined by such small margins that a solid defense can make or break teams.

But while Kinn will play a big part of that, I believe the two starting center backs, senior Austin Kinn and junior Jason DeFaria, will have to step up the most. And it's not even so much that they will have to step up, but rather that they will have to continue to play well. A stable partnership in the center of defense is almost a prerequisite for any team vying for a championship, and the Quakers have had an extremely stable one the last few games.

In fact, so far in Ivy play they have been rock solid. Penn has shut out three consecutive Ivy opponents for the first time since 2010 — also the last time the program made it to the NCAA tournament. Coach [Rudy] Fuller has plenty of offensive firepower at his disposal to score goals, so the Quakers will be highly competitive in games as long as the defense continues to limit opposition chances.

The addition of freshman Matt Poplawski in the center of midfield over the past few games has also added a bit of energy to the Red and Blue, as he helps to shield the back four from opposing attacks. If Poplawski and the defense continue their impressive form, the Quakers will have a great chance to be in the big dance come late November.

Associate Sports Editor Alexis Ziebelman: I agree with John and Mars that Penn will have to rely heavily on its defense to clinch an Ivy title but the offense must also keep up its good work. However, there is no one player that can carry the team. Tyler Kinn will be a key player in stopping shots and Austin Kinn and Jason DeFaria should continue pushing the ball up the field, but you cannot win a game without goals, and that is what the offense is for.

As for the defense, the Quakers have had a good run so far of three straight shutouts because of their ability to work together as team rather than have a standout performance from any one player. Each and every player has equal weight to step up his game and keep the team winning games.