Some quick thoughts on Penn basketball's 2014-15 schedule

In case you missed it, Penn basketball released its 2014-15 schedule today

What does this mean you ask? In the scheme of things, very little since what matters a lot more is the talent in your own locker room than what is on the opposing sidelines. Furthermore, the games that really matter are the ones that never change: the 14-game Ivy League schedule that functions as a tournament within itself.

That being said, let's take a closer look at the schedule.

• Looking forward to the Big 5 matchups? Penn travels to Temple on Nov. 25 and La Salle on Dec. 30 before facing Villanova and St. Joe's on Jan. 17 and Jan. 24, respectively, at the Palestra (where all Big 5 games should be played).
  • Big names: Vanderbilt is the only power conference team on Penn's slate with the Quakers traveling to Nashville on Dec. 22. The Commodores (that was fun to write!) finished in the bottom half of the SEC last year, going 15-16 overall. Outside of the Big 5, Penn's most recognizable name on the schedule is likely Navy since everyone knows the service academies.
  • No Drexel: This one is simple: For the second straight year, Penn will not be playing the school whose campus is closest to the Palestra. Womp womp. 
  • Hello new friends: There are only four new teams added to Penn's schedule (the Quakers are playing the same number of teams as last year with 28 games overall). Those three schools are the aforementioned Vanderbilt and Navy as well as a season-opening contest against Delaware State and a trip to Binghamton. Wave goodbye to Iowa, Penn State, NJIT and George Mason, all not on this year's slate.
  • Out with the good and in with the bad: All but three teams Penn will face in nonconference play finished above .500 last year. Penn will face four of the bottom five teams from the MAAC as well as the bottom two teams in the Patriot League. The 14 nonconference opponents went a combined 191-243, winning just 44 percent of their games.
  • NCAA Tournament teams from a year ago: Villanova, St. Joe's and Ivy champion Harvard all made the Big Dance last year. Those also might be the best bets at making it among Penn's opponents again this season