One in, one out

Nothing gets a college sports fan excited like the NCAA Tournament selection show. OK, so maybe the NCAA tennis selection show isn't quite as exciting as its basketball counterpart in March, but for Penn fans, there was some genuine interest.

The women's team, which finished second in the Ivy League with a 6-1 record, earned a spot in the May tournament. The No. 45 Quakers will face No. 30 Tennessee in Atlanta. If Penn wins the May 12 contest, the Quakers will face either Southland Conference champ Southeastern Louisiana or host Georgia Tech, the ACC winner. Ancient Eight winner Harvard will face Purdue in the first round.

Meanwhile, the men's team, which split the Ivy League title with Brown and lost in a playoff, was snubbed by the NCAA selection committee. The Bears move on to face Notre Dame in the first round while Penn will be staying home. It's a tad disappointing considering the Quakers (18-6) had a better overall record than Brown (17-8) and a better mark than half of the tournament field.

Army (10-15) benefited from the Patriot League's automatic bid, while Alabama (14-11), Wake Forest (14-10), Minnesota (13-12), Michigan (13-11) and South Carolina (14-14, and losers to Penn) all received at-large bids.

Penn really should have two teams vying for a chance to move on to Stanford's Taube Tennis Center, the site of the final rounds. Unfortunately the NCAA didn't see it that way.