Hogs finally get one

Arkansas had been on a bit of a drought, you could say. The Razorbacks went home empty from last year's Penn Relays, and they were on the verge of doing the same this year. That's a dry spell if I've ever heard one, for the team that's won more NCAA track titles than anyone ever -- 41 -- and that fact is emblazoned across the front of the Arkansas media guide.

So when it came down to the 4xMile, the Hogs were hungry. They had won the event 18 times going in, but faced a tough test from defending champion Michigan, which had set the collegiate record at last year's relays. Suprisingly, upstart Ioan (who has never won a relays title) held the lead nearly the entire way followed closely by Arkansas and Michigan.

Razorbacks' anchor Josphat Boit pulled out to a small lead in the final turn and coasted to the win in 16:14.92. Iona finished half a second back at 16:15.40 then Michigan at 16:16.03.

Elsewhere Texas blazed to a first-place finish in the college men's 4x100 in 39.66 seconds. That time would have been the fastest in the qualifying heats yesterday and would have gotten the Longhorns to the Championship event. Instead Texas missed the marquee race with a heat time of 40.77 yesterday and ended up in the second-tier race.

Louisiana State took the real title in the 4x100 at 39.22 in thrilling fashion. Texas A&M, who posted the fastest qualifying time dropped the baton on the first leg and did not finish.

Closer to home The Penn women finished fifth in the women's 4x800 championship, a respectable showing considering the field. Texas just edged out Tennessee for the title, finishing in 8:31.60 with the Volunteers coming in 8:31.83. Penn's time was 8:40.36 Princeton won the second-tier race in 8:54.92

In the high school boys 4x400 relay, Simon Gratz of Philadelphia blew away everyone in the Public League, and qualified for the Championship of America this afternoon. That title race has recently been dominated by Jamaican teams, and just on other qualifier, DeMatha Catholic of Maryland, is from the U.S.