Day three begins

It's the start of the final day of the 112th Penn Relays, and people are jamming into the stands early to see all the big races. The highlights will come from the USA vs. the World relays, in which America's best runners -- including superstars Justin Gatlin and Lauryn Williams -- will run against the best from other nations.

Jamaica will get all the attention of course, especially because world record holder Asafa Powell is racing in the 100m sprint. That race is scheduled to start at 3:45, and you might just hear it in the high rises when the crowd roars Powell on. Unfortunately, he won't run against Gatlin, his biggest rival, because Powell won't be in any relays and Gatlin won't be in the sprint.

As for a dark horse, look out for Great Britain in the 4x100-meter relay because of Mark Lewis-Francis. He was a member of the team that won the gold medal at the 2004 Olympics in a thrilling finish over the United States.

Other big races today include the college men's 4x100m, 4x200m and 4x400m Championships of America, and both the male and female 4x800 Championships. The high school boys 4x100m championship might as well be renamed the Championship of Jamaica, because six of the eight teams in the field are Jamaican.

Finally, the first race of the day was the men's Olympic Development 10km racewalk. Matt Boyles of Miami Valley Track Club came out on top in 42 minutes, 37.06 seconds. It took place at 7 a.m. this morning, and no, I wasn't awake yet at that hour.