It's Tiger season

The Penn-Princeton rivalry belongs to the Quakers ... in February and March, that is. The Penn men's basketball team is 8-1 in its last nine against the Tigers, and the gap is widening.

But sometime around the middle of March, the edge moves north to Princeton, in a big way.

In the 10 spring sports with Ivy standings or an Ivy League tournament, the Tigers finished in the top half of the standings in nine sports last season, including three titles.

Meanwhile, the Quakers went without a title last spring and finished seventh in three of its highest profile spring sports - men's lacrosse (in which there are only seven teams) baseball and softball.

The tennis teams have already begun their spring seasons, and lacrosse opens this weekend. As the season begins for Penn's spring sports teams, the theme for many will be redemption ... and Tiger hunting.

Last year's standings:
Baseball: Princeton 4th, Penn 7th
Softball: Princeton 1st, Penn 7th
M. Lacrosse: Princeton 2nd (of 7), Penn 7th
W. Lacrosse: Princeton 2nd, Penn 3rd
M. Tennis: Princeton 4th, Penn 6th
W. Tennis: Penn 2nd, Princeton 3rd
M. Golf: Princeton 1st, Penn 3rd
W. Golf: Princeton 1st (of 7), Penn 3rd
M. Track (Heps): Penn 2nd, Princeton 4th
W. Track (Heps): Penn 5th, Princeton 6th

And in crew, a sport with no Ivy League standings, the Tigers were even more dominant. In the national polls, Princeton finished third in heavyweight men's and fourth in women's, while the Penn heavyweight men were in 19th, and the women were "also receiving votes" in the women's top 20. However, the lightweight men were one spot in which the edge went to the Quakers, with Penn finishing sixth in the EARC and Princeton back in eighth.