Copy
Thursday, March 14

Good morning, Penn.

I'm Ben, and I'll be your guest anchor today. On this Pi Day, the team behind DP Daybreak hopes that all of you are looking radian — which is particularly likely as we enter our second consecutive 70 degree day on campus.

Penn's Civic House announced the appointment of a new executive director, and Penn researchers received a grant for a program aiming to train the next generation of learning health system scientists.

But first, newly released documents related to Mackenzie Fierceton's lawsuit against Penn shed additional light on the circumstances surrounding her allegations.
SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK

TODAY'S TOP STORY

Photo by Kylie Cooper
Inside administrators' depositions in the Mackenzie Fierceton lawsuit

It has been over two years since Fierceton — a former Rhodes Scholar, 2021 School of Social Policy & Practice graduate and 2020 College graduate — sued Penn for allegedly discrediting details about her upbringing and unjustly withholding her master's degree over questions about her status as a first-generation, low-income student and survivor of abuse. 

Now, excerpts of the depositions of Penn administrators at the center of the lawsuit were recently made public. They reveal a disputed characterization of Deputy Provost Beth Winkelstein's questioning of Fierceton, competing definitions of FGLI students, and new details about Penn's correspondence with the Rhodes Trust

READ THE FULL STORY
FOUR MORE BIG STORIES

Penn researchers were awarded a $5 million grant to unite scientific experts from Penn’s schools, long-standing community partners, and Accelerate Health Equity — a Philadelphia initiative addressing health equity and racism.

Carrie Hutnick — a former director of community-engaged learning and scholarship at Drexel — was appointed executive director of the Civic House.

Nine Penn seniors and recent graduates received the 2024 Thouron Award to pursue graduate studies in the United Kingdom.

Penn Medicine pledged to abide by the White House's commitments regarding the use of artificial intelligence in the medical field.

MOST READ

Faculty group sues Penn over 'McCarthyism,' aiming to stop transfer of University documents to Congress

HAVE A CONFIDENTIAL TIP? TELL US HERE

OPINION

Photo by Abhiram Juvvadi

COLUMNIST HANADI ABDULKADIR explores how issues with Penn dining tie into her relationship with mental health and academic performance.

SPORTS

Penn softball picked up its first series win of the season in dramatic fashion with a sweep of Coppin State.

Penn wrestling took fourth place over the weekend at the EIWA Championships with five wrestlers punching in their tickets for the NCAA Championships.

Penn men's and women's basketball earned several honors in the Ivy League's postseason awards.

TODAY IN DP HISTORY

Photo by Justin Cohen

In 2012, the DP reported that Passion Pit would open the 2012 Spring Fling concert — with students expressing mixed opinions on the selection and on Penn's online announcement of the opener. While Penn has not yet announced any of the artists who will perform at this year's Spring Fling, Lauv headlined the concert's 2023 edition.

TAKE A BREATHER

Click here to play today’s DP mini crossword, which was constructed by Evan Stubbs.

Looking for today's DP crossword? Pick up a print edition to play our full-size puzzle. It'll be published online tomorrow.

FROM 34TH STREET MAGAZINE

Forget quiet luxury, it's all about loud budgeting, according to comedian Lukas Battle. TikTok's #FinTok movement leads the charge in financial transparency, making it cool to share payday routines and money management tips. From paycheck breakdowns to investment advice, social media is flipping the script on money talk.

FROM UNDER THE BUTTON

Did you know Mr. Beast came to Penn? Students were flabbergasted today on Locust Walk, all yearning to compete in Mr. Beast's "How Many Items Can You Steal From Pret In 30 Seconds” challenge. 
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Nicholas Maharaj.
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Penn Daily Podcast
Subscribe to all of The Daily Pennsylvanian's newsletters to get today's biggest headlines in your inbox every weekday morning.
Are you enjoying DP Daybreak? Please share any ideas or concerns with us by emailing The Daily Pennsylvanian's Editor-in-Chief Jared Mitovich at mitovich@thedp.com.

DP Daybreak is published Monday through Friday. You can update which newsletters you receive or unsubscribe from all newsletters at any time.

Copyright © 2024 The Daily Pennsylvanian, All rights reserved.