Copy
Wednesday, January 24

Good morning, Penn.

Hi! My name is Emily, and I'll be your Wednesday morning newsletter anchor this year.

The Penn Transplant Institute — part of the University of Pennsylvania Health System — set a world record for the number of kidney paired donation transplants in a year. Also, 1968 Wharton graduate and former President Donald Trump defeated former United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley in New Hampshire's Republican primary. 

But first, The Daily Pennsylvanian sat down with Mark Wolff, the leader of Penn's task force on antisemitism, to hear what the group's goals and plans are for the coming months. 
Share today's morning newsletter Share today's morning newsletter

☀️ TODAY'S TOP STORY

Photo by Ethan Young
University antisemitism task force chair shares semester action plan

Penn's task force on antisemitism was established in November amid a tumultuous time in the campus climate. After former President Liz Magill's resignation a month later and the appointment of Interim Penn President Larry Jameson, here's how the group is currently working to address antisemitism on campus and involving students and other Penn community members in its work.
Read the full story

FOUR MORE BIG STORIES

1. McClelland Sushi & Market will relocate for the next academic year due to ongoing construction in the Quad, moving from its home in Ware College House.
  2. A 2023 Engineering graduate was awarded a Churchill scholarship for a year of graduate study at the University of Cambridge.
  3. The Penn Transplant Institute set a world record for the highest number of kidney paired donations over a yearlong period in 2023.
  4. 1968 Wharton graduate Donald Trump won the New Hampshire Republican primary, bringing him one step closer to the 2024 presidential nomination. 

📰 MOST READ

‘A hostile Republican takeover’: Penn faculty warn of academic freedom threats after Marc Rowan letter

OPINION

"As an alumnus, I am so appalled by the set of events that eventually led to the resignation of Magill." 

GUEST COLUMNIST ABDULRAHMAN BINDAMNAN argues that the resignation of former Penn President Liz Magill was bad news for free speech.

Photo by Ethan Young

SPORTS

After a disappointing finish in 2023, Penn men's lacrosse is nationally ranked heading into the new season, with several players earning national recognition.

TODAY IN DP HISTORY

In 2017, the DP reported that Penn did not list former President Donald Trump as a notable alumnus involved in government. Last night, Trump walked away victorious from the New Hampshire Republican primary for the third time. 
Photo by Ilana Wurman

🧩  TAKE A BREATHER

Click here to play today's DP mini crossword, which was constructed by May Hathaway.
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Diamy Wang.
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Penn Daily Podcast
Subscribe to all of The Daily Pennsylvanian's newsletters to get today's biggest headlines in your inbox every weekday morning.
Are you enjoying this newsletter? Please share any ideas or concerns with us by emailing The Daily Pennsylvanian's Editor-in-Chief Jared Mitovich at mitovich@thedp.com.

The Daily Pennsylvanian is published Monday through Friday. You can update which newsletters you receive or unsubscribe from all newsletters at any time.
Copyright © 2024 The Daily Pennsylvanian, All rights reserved.