Q&A with 2014 Penn basketball recruit Dan Dwyer

Though he won’t hit campus for another few months forward Dan Dwyer is certain to fit into Penn basketball’s plans for 2014 with his floor-spacing shooting. The Daily Pennsylvanian caught up with Dwyer to talk about his recruiting experience, playing style and role within the future of Penn basketball.

Daily Pennyslvanian: What sort of school were you looking for during your recruitment and how did Penn fit that mold?

Dan Dwyer: Throughout my recruitment, I was looking for a good combination of academics and basketball. That’s what I was looking for mostly. My coach was telling me to pick a school that you would love to go to even if you weren’t playing basketball and I felt that with Penn also.

DP: Was there anything during your visits with Penn that led you to commit?

DD: I really loved the coaches when I went there and the city was really cool too. I loved the campus and the coaching staff and meeting all the players.

DP: Were there any coaches in particular who helped lead you to Penn?

DD: Coach Bowman. He came out before the season and then he came out to a couple games and coach Allen came to a game or two at the end of the year. They were watching my games online also.

DP: What was it about those coaches that spoke to you during the recruitment process?

DD: I liked how they were just very encouraging. They had me keep working on stuff. Before the season, I talked to coach Bowman about some stuff and he wanted to see some improvements and they thought I made some adjustments during the year.

DP: What has the coaching staff said to you about your role on the team this year?

DD: I’ve talked to them about it before. They have Darien [Nelson-Henry] holding down the post and they think it’d be a good combination if I can step it out and shoot.

DP: Fran Dougherty and a few of the other forwards who had a large number of minutes last season won’t be on the team next year. How do you see yourself filling into that role in the next few years?

DD: I’ve really been working on rebounding. That’s something that I’ve been taking pride in. I want to really be known as a rebounder and a hustler.

DP: It’s going to be a difficult transition from high school to college basketball, but what do you think you can contribute immediately off the bench next season?

DD: Immediately, I think I can bring some defensive presence in the paint and just help rebound and get some put-backs on offense too. I think I can help out on both sides of the ball.

DP: How would you describe yourself as a player?

DD: I’d say I’m a face-up forward. I usually like to step out and shoot it, but lately I’ve been working on getting more comfortable with my back to the basket and become a more complete player.

DP: How would you describe your senior season and your role on the team during that year?

DD: We had kind of a rocky start. We were missing our best player, who’s going to Northwestern. So the transition was kind of hard. Towards the end, it was me and another big guy on our team and we were putting up a lot of points and a lot of rebounds. We were running a lot of high low action, so I felt like how we did was how the rest of the team would do.

DP: Penn basketball has struggled quite a bit the past few years and some people close to the program are calling for a coaching shift. Did that factor into your decision?

DD: No, I don’t think it really did. I really liked coach Allen on my visit and I hope he can stay. I think it would be great if he does.

DP: Were there any academic areas in particular that stood out to you in high school?

DD: My favorite subject was economics. I really liked that in high school. I might try to minor in Spanish if I’m able to do that. I might try to factor in Spanish with the Wharton degree.