Women's Lacrosse @ Princeton- Game updates

Hello everyone,

Zach Klitzman here blogging live from Princeton University's Class of 1952 stadium as the women's lacrosse team faces its New Jersey rivals in a game that will determine the Ivy League title.

Princeton has been on tear this season, ripping off 10 straight wins to bring its record to 10-0, 4-0 Ivy. Penn has also been on a long winning streak, winning eight in a row since losing at Stanford 10-8 March 9. They're 10-1 overall and 5-0 in Ivy play. I'll provide highlights throughout the night, although I'm also the DP's photographer for the night, so I'll be taking photos for the majority of the game.

27:00 first half, Penn 0 Princeton 0

Within the first three minutes both Penn and Princeton have ripped off shots, but both have been saved by the goalies.

24:00 Penn 0 Princeton 0

With 24:05 Princeton's Marine Graham was defending Ali DeLuca when she hit the deck, apparently with an injured ankle. Of note, the Washington D.C. native sang the national anthem prior to the game.

Immediately after DeLuca takes the ball, drives to the goal, but the shot is saved again by Princeton goalkeeper Kaitlin Perrelle.

18:50 Penn 1 Princeton 0

With 18:50, Penn sets up the offense, and after working the ball from behind the net, Kaitlin Lombardo passes it to senior Rachel Manson who shoots, scoring her 101st career goal. Penn 1 Princeton 0. Ok, with a timeout called by Princeton, there's now a pause in the action. So I'm going to head down to the field to take some photos. So the next update will be at halftime.

Halftime Penn 3 Princeton 1

Well it's halftime here, and if you're a Penn fan you're going to be happy. The score stands at 3-1 Quakers, despite an even 6-6 in shots. After the Manson goal, Princeton tied it back up at 1 when senior Ashley Amo scored with 15:42 left in the half. However, the rest of the half was all Penn, as senior Melissa Lehman (12:30) and sophomore Ali DeLuca (1:00) both scored.

Overall the game has been very deliberate. I've only seen about 20 games of lacrosse, but without a doubt this is the lowest scoring I've seen. Penn, which dominated in time of possession, has purposely been deliberate with the ball, waiting until the best available shot before shooting. Hence just the six shots per side. (How ironic that in a Penn-Princeton game it's the Tigers who are pushing the tempo while the Quakers are going at a slow tempo).

As we wait I wait as well describe the crowd. On this nice day the turnout is pretty good, as the main side of the '52 Stadium is mainly filled. I'd estimate about 500 people are in attendance. Among them is the Princeton band, who as I write this, is playing their alma mater... actually it's 99 Red Balloons.

27:33 Penn 4 Princeton 1

With 27:33 it's Manson again, this time scoring off of a bounce shot. It's her 102nd goal in her career and it ties the largest deficit Princeton has faced this year as the lead is now 4-1.

26:46 Penn 5 Princeton 1

Less than a minute later a Penn pass overshoots its target, hitting of Perrelle. But Manson is there again, scooping the ball out of the air and earning a hat trick with a put back. Penn now leads 5-1.

25:18 Penn 6 Princeton 1

And again, another short spurt before another Penn goal. Senior Chelsea Kocis, weaving behind the Princeton goal, throws up a pass and DeLuca jumps in the air, cradles the ball and shoots, all without touching the ground. Call it an Alley-oop goal for the sophomore product out of Hillsborough, N.J. This three goal spurt in under 5:00 minutes forces Princeton to take its second timeout of the night. During the timeout the Princeton band plays Eye of the Tiger, begging the question is this song more appropriate for Princeton because of its nickname or Penn for the connections the song has to Philly.

22:01 Penn 7 Princeton 1

Another three minutes go by, and this time a freshman is the difference. Off an Ali DeLuca pass, freshman Giulia Giordano ripped off a shot.

Just two minutes later Giordano scores yet again, this time off a free position shot at 20:39. The score now stands at 8-1.

And as the clock approaches the 20:00 minute, Penn goalie Sarah Waxman is now 67% on her way to her 99% prediction of winning this game coming 100% true.

Final Penn 9 Princeton 5

Sorry for the delay, I was shooting photos and interviewing players. But the final score was 9-5 Penn. The Quakers (11-1, 6-0) have now clinched at least a share of the Ivy League title and the automatic bid to the NCAA tournament that comes with it.

Quick stats: Ali DeLuca 3 goals, 2 assists, Rachel Manson three goals, Sarah Waxman 8 saves.

A full recap will appear in tomorrow's DP and more info will be posted later to this Buzz.