Back to reality

Just about everything Zachary outlined Penn needed to do in today's baseball game against St. Joseph's happened.

Yep, the Quakers were cruising along, playing sharp defense, making great pitches and allowing just a single baserunner through the first three innings on a spectacular day at Murphy Field.

If you left after three frames you'd think Penn and reversed course from three straight losses. You would have also missed 26 more runs which would score, 20 of them to the visitors, 12 coming in the fourth inning.

Yet again, errors were a big part of the game, but the Quakers made six of their seven for the game after it was already out of reach at 12-3. It might be easy to blame right fielder Michael Gatti for dropping a very catchable fly ball with the bases loaded in the fourth, but that play only led to one run scoring. In fact, it was really the only defensive miscue of the inning, which saw 16 batters face three different Penn pitchers.

From behind the screen, it looked like the surrender flag had been waved after the last out of that excruciating inning, and Penn essentially packed it in on just about all fronts. The team did score six more runs but gave up another eight, and that could have been more given the regularity with which relief pitchers danced with danger -- or rather men on base.

All in all, it'd be worth repeating Levine's strategy going into this weekend's doubleheader against Brown. Let's hope it actually works this time.