Penn-Columbia game updates

NEW YORK-- Follow the game live by continuously updating this page!

Final: It's all over. Columbia has pulled an improbable upset, beating Penn 59-57. The one saving grace for Penn, however, is that Yale and Harvard lost tonight. Princeton and Cornell have gone into overtime. Still, the Quakers looked absolutely awful at times. They now face an incredibly important game in Ithaca tomorrow night.

:1 (second half): Now Columbia calls a timeout. The Columbia students are ready to stampede the court. Penn needs a miracle shot if it wants to win.

:1 (second half): Nwachukwu tips in the ball! Columbia has taken the lead with a second to play, 59-57. Timeout Penn.

:33.7 (second half): Zoller has been called for a charge, his fifth foul. Columbia will have the ball and they will be able to hold on for the final shot.

:52 (second half): He makes one of two and the game is tied at 57.

:53 (second half): Columbia, down 57-56, will have two shots to take the lead after Mark Zoller recorded his fourth foul. Nwachukwu will shoot from the line. He is a 73 percent foul shooter. Zoller tried to get a jump ball call, as he wrestled with Nwachukwu on the ground. But the ref called a foul on him instead. Penn has not scored in four minutes.

1:28 (second half): Timeout Columbia. They will have a chance to take a lead on this possession, as they have the ball trailing 57-56. Penn has not scored on the past five possessions.

3:35 (second half): Penn was unable to score, letting the ball go out of bounds. Columbia will have a chance to tie the game after this media timeout. Penn still leads 57-54.

3:45 (second half): Dunphy calls a 30-second timeout, as Penn leads 57-54 with the ball. A basket here would be big for the Quakers, putting them up two possessions.

4:36 (second half): Timeout Columbia. Penn has gone on a 5-0 run to retake the lead, 57-54. Jaaber hit a huge three and then got a big offensive rebound on the next possession that led to a Danley layup.

6:55 (second half): Columbia has taken the lead, 52-49, on an Armstrong three.

7:45 (second half): Ebede was just called for a foul, putting Columbia in the bonus. They will shoot 1-and-1 after this media timeout. For now, Penn leads 49-47. The Quakers have hit one of their last 10 shots.

8:53 (second half): Jaaber has just recorded his fourth steal, putting him above of his nation-leading average of 3.5 steals per game. Penn leads 49-47.

9:49 (second half): An Ebede free throw puts Penn up 1, 48-47. Armstrong has been very solid for the Lions tonight, leading all scorers with 20 points. Jaaber has been held to just three points in the first 10 minutes of this half.

10:00 (second half): Penn looks horrible on offense. They are losing the turnover war to Columbia and are in danger of losing the game. Columbia has tied the game at 47.

11:56 (second half): Jaaber just made a huge and-one, ending a Columbia 8-0 run. The Quakers now lead 46-42. Penn, once again, looks like it has never played against a 2-3 zone before. They are getting no scoring whatsoever from the paint and they are only winning because their shots have been falling from outside. Penn is shooting 6-for-13 for the second half, and is 0-for-4 from three.

15:44 (second half): Penn now leads 43-34. Danley scored his first points of the game on an ugly leaner over Nwachukwu. Zoller also had an inside layup, his first points from the paint today. He followed that up with a nice and-one, which he is about to shoot. The Quakers are shooting a blistering 61 percent from the field tonight.

Halftime: Columbia closed the half on an 8-0 run, but Penn still leads, 33-28. Jaaber is the game's leading scorer with 13 points. Osmundson has nine and Ebede six. Justin Armstrong is Columbia's leading scorer with 10 points. Penn has looked dead at times during the half, but the team's three-point shooting has kept them in the lead. Columbia's big men have pretty much held Penn's forwards in check. Steve Danley has no points and Zoller has two. The Quakers' big men will have to step up in the second half if they want to pull away.

3:17 (first half): Penn has quietly crept out to a 10-point lead and now leads 30-20. Osmundson and Ebede have each sunk another three, the perfect answer to Columbia's zone.

7:45 (first half): The Quakers have apparently found an answer to this zone: the three-point shot. They now lead 22-18 after hitting four straight threes. Eric Osmundson appears to be over his shoulder injury, as he is 2-for-3 from downtown tonight. Jaaber leads all scorers with 10 points and is 4-for-4 from the field. Ebede again proved to be a spark from the bench, hitting a nice three with a man in his face.

11:49 (first half): Penn still trails 14-10 and appears to have no sort of consistency on offense tonight. Mark Zoller was just called for his second foul of the game. Friedrich Ebede will likely play the rest of the half. Ebede has been a big spark off the bench lately. Hopefully for the Quakers, he will continue to be strong off the bench.

13:09 (first half): The Lions have countered with a 8-1 run of their own. Columbia now leads 14-10, forcing Fran Dunphy to call a timeout. K.J. Matsui had five of those points on the Columbia run, including a nice three off a screen. The Lions have switched to a 2-3 zone, forcing two straight turnovers.

14:49 (first half): At the first media timeout, Penn leads 9-6. The Quakers struggled early, turning the ball over and missing shots. Columbia jumped out to a 6-2 lead. But the Quakers went on a 7-0 run, capped off by a steal by David Whitehurst that led to a fast break Ibby Jaaber layup.

Pregame: The arena is about 80 percent full, and it's hard to tell the ratio of Penn to Columbia fans. The Columbia "Lions Den" student section is pretty much full and the school is giving out rally towels.

Starting lineups:

Columbia
F John Baumann (6-8, Soph, 13.9 ppg)
F Dragutin Kravic (6-8, Sr, 6 ppg)
C Ben Nwachukwu (6-8, Soph, 11.5 ppg)
G Dalen Cuff (6-3, Sr, 3.8 ppg)
G Brett Loscalzo (6-0, Soph, 4.8 ppg)

Penn
G Ibrahim Jaaber (6-2, Jr, 17.8 ppg)
G David Whitehurst (6-3, Soph, 6.6 ppg)
G Eric Osmundson (6-5, Sr, 10 ppg)
F Steve Danley (6-8, Jr, 9.9 ppg)
F Mark Zoller (6-7, Jr, 12.7 ppg)