Copy
Monday, April 15

Good morning, Penn.

Hi! I'm filling in for Elea today. 

1968 Wharton graduate Donald Trump will head to court today in the first criminal trial of a former United States president, and Penn's Gene Therapy Program director has motioned to dismiss a lawsuit filed by a former program employee, which alleged “unethical and illegal conduct.”

But first, Penn is looking to dismiss a lawsuit filed by a group of faculty members last month, which sought to halt the University's submission of requested documents to Congress.
SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK

TODAY'S TOP STORY

Photo by Abhiram Juvvadi 
Penn motions to dismiss ‘McCarthyism’ lawsuit

Penn is motioning to dismiss a lawsuit filed by a group of Penn faculty — including Penn Faculty for Justice in Palestine — last month alleging the University is using “McCarthyism” tactics to prevent speech opposing Israel. 

The lawsuit was filed in an attempt to convince Penn to not comply with the House Committee on Education and the Workforce’s request for documents pertaining to on-campus antisemitism. The University's lawyer wrote in a letter to the judge that the case should be dismissed due to a lack of legal standing and a failure to identify "concrete and … impending injuries." 

READ THE FULL STORY
FOUR MORE BIG STORIES

Penn's graduate student workers' union election has been postponed indefinitely. The election has yet to be rescheduled, marking another hurdle in the organization's fight for broader University recognition. 

The University and Gene Therapy Program director Jim Wilson have motioned to dismiss a lawsuit filed by a former program employee involving gene therapy technology that the employee invented while at Penn. 

1968 Wharton graduate Donald Trump's criminal hush money trial will begin today, marking the first criminal trial against a former president. 

A Penn alum who served on the nominating panel for the Philadelphia Board of Education spoke to The Daily Pennsylvanian about the importance of public education. 

MOST READ

Penn's College of Arts and Sciences considering changes to sector, foundation, credit requirements

HAVE A CONFIDENTIAL TIP? TELL US HERE

OPINION

Photo by Natalie Cheng

COLUMNIST ERIC NAJERA argues that the humanities degrees should not be overlooked in importance.

SPORTS

Penn basketball's standout freshman guard Tyler Perkins announced his decision to continue his collegiate career at Villanova next season.

Penn men's lacrosse secured its place in the Ivy League tournament with a win over Harvard, while Penn women's lacrosse grabbed a much-needed win against Cornell.

TODAY IN DP HISTORY

Photos from Tori Burlase and Janice Owusu

In 2021, the DP reported on the election of the new Undergraduate Assembly president and vice president for the 2021-22 school year. Last week, College junior Ria Ellendula and Wharton sophomore Michelle Chen won the election to lead the UA next year.  

BITE SIZED DP

Last week, our reporters covered important community stories. Administrators in Penn’s College of Arts and Sciences consider extensive changes to the College curriculum, and Penn Fund donations are down 21% from this time last year. In addition, The Daily Pennsylvanian analyzed the most affordable grocery stores around Penn.

Check out more on our reporting on our website.

TAKE A BREATHER

Click here to play today's DP crossword, which was constructed by Srikar Venkatesan, Joyce Lee, and Clarice Wang.

And click here to play today's DP mini crossword, which was constructed by Nina Wang.

FROM 34TH STREET MAGAZINE

In honor of our April Issue, Street will be hosting Street Sessions, a concert with all the hottest bands on campus. In preparation, Street sat in on a practice with Combo 4, Bloomers Band, Melatonin Sex Dreams, and Good Boys to find out what makes these bands tick — other than a metronome, of course. Turns out, making music at Penn is a quarter talent and a whole lot of love. Spending hours together each week, it's hard to tell whether these musicians love each other or the music they make more. But what they can tell you? It's a ton of fun. 

FROM UNDER THE BUTTON

“I Saw the Solar Eclipse With My Naked Eye”: UTB’s Experience With the Total Solar Eclipse
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Asha Chawla.
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Penn Daily Podcast
Subscribe to all of The Daily Pennsylvanian's newsletters to get today's biggest headlines in your inbox every weekday morning.
Are you enjoying DP Daybreak? Please share any ideas or concerns with us by emailing The Daily Pennsylvanian's Editor-in-Chief Jared Mitovich at mitovich@thedp.com.

DP Daybreak is published Monday through Friday. You can update which newsletters you receive or unsubscribe from all newsletters at any time.

Copyright © 2024 The Daily Pennsylvanian, All rights reserved.