Copy
Monday, March 25

Good morning, Penn.

In recently released interview transcripts, President Joe Biden discussed his professorship at Penn, as well as his work at the Penn Biden Center and Penn Medicine. Also, the University updated its COVID-19 guidelines, which include a decrease in its recommended isolation period from five days to 24 hours. 

But first, Penn's union of residential advisors has filed a surface bargaining complaint against the University, citing delays and disrespect from the Penn negotiating team.
SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK

TODAY'S TOP STORY

Photo by Abhiram Juvvadi
RA union files complaint against University

On March 11, Penn residential advisors and graduate residential advisors filed a complaint against the University with the National Labor Relations Board. The union was formed with overwhelming support from RAs and Graduate RAs in September of last year. In October, the RA union began negotiations with the University. 

While members of the RA union told The Daily Pennsylvanian that negotiations started well, they describe a change in the University's negotiating tactics. A petition with almost 400 signatures alleges “endless delay tactics and disrespect” from Penn's negotiating team.

A University spokesperson told the DP that Penn has been bargaining in good faith and will continue to do so.
READ THE FULL STORY
FIVE MORE BIG STORIES

College sophomore Nathaniel Gordon died on March 23. Gordon was active in the Philadelphia community and was involved at Penn as a member of the Pre-First Year Program and Makuu: The Black Cultural Center community. 

President and former Penn professor Joe Biden reflected on his relationship with the University in recently released interview transcripts, offering new insight into his involvement with Penn.

Penn has updated its COVID-19 guidelines to align with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, including a shortened isolation period. 

Hundreds of students and faculty gathered in the Bodek Lounge of Houston Hall last Thursday to take part in Abuse and Sexual Assault Prevention at Penn's annual Take Back the Night event.

To reduce financial costs and carbon emissions, the Undergraduate Assembly unveiled a new program to group students using ridesharing services for travel to the airport. 

MOST READ

Five easy classes to take in the fall 2024 semester

HAVE A CONFIDENTIAL TIP? TELL US HERE

OPINION

Design by Insia Haque
COLUMNIST SOSE HOVANNISIAN argues that Penn students should halt the harping on Philadelphia and appreciate the city that’s given us so much.

SPORTS

Penn gymnastics wins its third-straight GEC championship with the second-highest score in program history.

Penn baseball has caught fire at the right time, as it starts its 2024 Ivy League campaign off with a clean sweep of Brown. 

TODAY IN DP HISTORY

Photo from Mark Bookman
In 2018, Penn graduate student Mark Bookman created an interactive accessibility map of Penn using crowdsourced data to make campus more accessible to those with disabilities and specific needs. Bookman — who uses an electric wheelchair — created the Accessibility Mapping Project after a research trip to Japan, where many of the temples he had to visit for field work were only accessible by stairs.  

The project includes comprehensive, intersectional accessibility information about what accessible doors look like and whether they're accessible by electric or manual wheelchairs — information not accessible on the Penn website at the time.

BITE-SIZED DP 

Welcome to Bite-Sized! Every week, we’ll be looking at the biggest headlines you should know.

Last week, our reporters covered key developments in the Penn community. Penn’s Center for Community Standards and Accountability launched an investigation on pro-Palestinian student group Penn Against the Occupation, and demolition began in the UC Townhomes. In addition, Penn’s men’s basketball freshman guard Tyler Perkins enters the transfer portal after a record-setting season.

Check out more on our reporting on our website.

TAKE A BREATHER

Click here to play today's DP crossword, which was constructed by Srikar Venkatesan, Trini Feng, Joyce Lee, Katharine Peng, and Clarice Wang.

And click here to play today’s DP mini crossword, which was constructed by Nina Wang.

FROM 34TH STREET MAGAZINE

How often do you think about the person behind the camera when looking at photos of events you attended or your club’s show? Hardwork and creativity from our photographer peers go into taking, editing, and compiling those photos. Street offer us an inside perspective on what it’s like to be a student photographer at Penn.

FROM UNDER THE BUTTON

Once again, Penn Carey Law Professor Amy Wax is at large on campus! The insider scoop? Amy Wax Called Me a Filthy Immigrant & Put Me in a Chokehold.
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Asha Chawla.
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Penn Daily Podcast
Subscribe to all of The Daily Pennsylvanian's newsletters to get today's biggest headlines in your inbox every weekday morning.
Are you enjoying DP Daybreak? Please share any ideas or concerns with us by emailing The Daily Pennsylvanian's Editor-in-Chief Jared Mitovich at mitovich@thedp.com.

DP Daybreak is published Monday through Friday. You can update which newsletters you receive or unsubscribe from all newsletters at any time.

Copyright © 2024 The Daily Pennsylvanian, All rights reserved.