Copy
Wednesday, April 17

Good morning, Penn.

I'm filling in for Emily today. Campus is cooling down after a warm and sunny start to the week — I hope you were able to enjoy the nice weather and free ice cream cones before they melted.

2016 Fels graduate and Philadelphia Mayor Cherelle Parker spoke about public safety at an event organized by Penn Democrats, and two Penn professors were named 2024 Guggenheim Fellows.

But first, the union election for graduate student workers has been rescheduled for May.
SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK

TODAY'S TOP STORY

Photo by Abhiram Juvvadi
Graduate workers to vote on unionization in May

Graduate student workers will be able to vote on whether to unionize on May 1 and 2, after the election was indefinitely postponed last week. The rescheduled election will take place in Bodek Lounge in Houston Hall.

Graduate Employees Together — University of Pennsylvania organizers expressed frustration with what they described as ongoing attempts to delay the unionization process. In an email to graduate and professional students on April 16, University administrators attributed the postponement to the addition of approximately 300 students to the voter list following an April 10 order from the National Labor Relations Board.

READ THE FULL STORY
FOUR MORE BIG STORIES

A new grief support program, which was funded by the Undergraduate Assembly, will launch later this week featuring guest speakers and peer mentors.

The Daily Pennsylvanian spoke with recently appointed Executive Director of Student Health and Counseling Patricia Ruiz about her goals for the position and her plans to meet student needs. 

Philadelphia Mayor Cherelle Parker visited Penn's campus, speaking about public safety and the drug epidemic at an April 15 event organized by Penn Democrats. 

Two Penn professors, Wale Adebanwi and Deborah Thomas, were selected as 2024 Guggenheim Fellows in recognition of their scholarly work.

MOST READ

Wharton returns to No. 1 spot in 2024 U.S. News ranking of MBA programs

HAVE A CONFIDENTIAL TIP? TELL US HERE

OPINION

Design by Insia Haque
COLUMNIST MARIANA MARTINEZ argues Penn should allocate more resources to eliminating rape culture on campus.  

SPORTS

Penn softball freshman outfielder Megan Huang is currently the only Quaker who has received Ivy League honors this season. 

Penn men's basketball freshman guard Sam Brown suffered a knee injury that should see him out for six to eight weeks ahead of a season where he will be taking on a bigger role

TODAY IN DP HISTORY

Design by Ava Cruz
In 2020, as all Penn classes shifted to an online format, some teaching assistants told the DP that they were overwhelmed with work and frustrated by a lack of University support. They described struggling to manage teaching responsibilities while also being students, and some asked for the University to implement clearer guidelines for professors to adhere to when managing their TAs. 

Penn graduate student workers will vote on whether to unionize in May of this year

TAKE A BREATHER

Click here to play today's DP crossword, which was constructed by Sangitha Aiyer, Rosemary Yang, Natalie Cheng, and Mia Ginsberg.

And click here to play today's DP mini crossword, which was constructed by Mia Ginsberg.

FROM 34TH STREET MAGAZINE

Only a few blocks away from campus, right before you cross the Schuylkill River, is World Cafe Live, an intimate and quaint venue incubating rising talent. A few weeks ago, Street ventured out to World Cafe Live to speak with young artist Julia Pratt. Opening with an embrace, Pratt shares her journey of finding her voice through music. After reading, be sure to check out Julia Pratt live on May 11 at the Foundry.
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Diamy Wang.
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Penn Daily Podcast
Subscribe to all of The Daily Pennsylvanian's newsletters to get today's biggest headlines in your inbox every weekday morning.
Are you enjoying DP Daybreak? Please share any ideas or concerns with us by emailing The Daily Pennsylvanian's Editor-in-Chief Jared Mitovich at mitovich@thedp.com.

DP Daybreak is published Monday through Friday. You can update which newsletters you receive or unsubscribe from all newsletters at any time.

Copyright © 2024 The Daily Pennsylvanian, All rights reserved.