Copy
Friday, April 12

Good morning, Penn.

It's been a busy week at Penn, and naturally, an even busier week for the Daily Pennsylvanian. Three of Penn's student political organizations participated in the all-party debate hosted by the Government and Politics Association on Wednesday, and Penn Carey Law placed fourth in the U.S. News 2024 national law school rankings.

But first, the DP found that the Penn Fund — a major arm of University fundraising for student life and academics — has received less money from fewer donors in 2024 than in any year since at least 2020.
SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK

TODAY'S TOP STORY

Photo by Jackson Ford
Penn Fund donations down 21% from last year

The Penn Fund — the University's annual giving program — has received less money from fewer donors in 2024 than in any year since at least 2020, a sign that tensions on campus may be tangibly impacting the University's financial support.

The DP found that the University was closer to meeting the fundraising goals listed on the Penn Fund's website at this time last year, though the University has until June 30 to meet its fundraising goals. Compared to last year, the Penn Fund is behind by thousands of donors

The size of the decrease “is an indication that a crisis is affecting the fundraising,” an expert said.

READ THE FULL STORY
FOUR MORE BIG STORIES

Three Penn political groups clashed over gun control, abortion, and the Israel-Hamas war at an all-party debate — with several participants criticizing the quality of the debate's discourse.

The Daily Pennsylvanian spoke with three undergraduate nursing students who described their mixed experiences participating in clinical rotations.

The College announced 1974 College and 1977 Carey Law graduate James Johnson, a current School of Arts and Sciences board member, will speak at the Class of 2024 graduation ceremony on May 19.

Penn Carey Law placed No. 4 in the 2024 U.S. News & World Report rankings, two years after the school's decision to withdraw from participating.

MOST READ

New alumni free speech alliance calls for Penn to adhere to First Amendment speech protections

HAVE A CONFIDENTIAL TIP? TELL US HERE

OPINION

Photo by Ethan Young

224 PENN FACULTY MEMBERS issue a statement in support of graduate worker unionization and invite all Penn faculty to sign.

SPORTS

With the Sheerr Pool closures looming, here's a look at some of the updates with regard to the renovation project.

TODAY IN DP HISTORY

Photo by Mordechai Treiger

In 2012, students who had been admitted to Penn’s Class of 2016 began arriving on campus April 12 for 'Penn Preview Days.' This year, the University welcomes the Class of 2028 to campus for an evolved version of the event — Quaker Days.

THIS WEEK IN PRINT

Missed this week's print issue? Read the DP's weekly paper online here.

PODCASTS

In this episode of Breaking Bread, host Liv Yun is joined by College senior Milan Chand to chat about his experience at Penn as a queer Southeast Asian man.

TAKE A BREATHER

Click here to play today's DP crossword, which was constructed by Evan Stubbs, Victoria Kuznetsov, and Ethan Plague.

And click here to play today's DP mini crossword, which was constructed by May Hathaway.

FROM 34TH STREET MAGAZINE

Wharton and "well–being" aren't often two words you hear in tandem, but for Kiln Chen, mentoring and deconstructing the pressure cooker of Penn through Wharton Wellness has been at the center of her Penn experience. Being the daughter of immigrants, and navigating Penn as a FGLI student has been integral to Kiln's past four years, but she has made leaps and bounds in the mentorship space to ensure that her fellow peers find their place on campus and beyond.
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Eleanor Grauke.
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Penn Daily Podcast
Subscribe to all of The Daily Pennsylvanian's newsletters to get today's biggest headlines in your inbox every weekday morning.
Are you enjoying DP Daybreak? Please share any ideas or concerns with us by emailing The Daily Pennsylvanian's Editor-in-Chief Jared Mitovich at mitovich@thedp.com.

DP Daybreak is published Monday through Friday. You can update which newsletters you receive or unsubscribe from all newsletters at any time.

Copyright © 2024 The Daily Pennsylvanian, All rights reserved.